Stream From Different Sources
From Livestream » User Guide
Set up your Qik phone
You can stream live from your mobile phone. Everything you record can be immediately transmitted to your Livestream channel without the need to login to your studio.
Set up your Qik phone in four easy steps:
1. First, you will need a Qik compatible phone. Here is the list of phones currently supported by Qik (they plan to add support for other lower end phones in the future) :
2. Next, make sure that you have a 3G data plan. Mobile phone streaming does work using Edge/GPRS, but is of lower quality and less reliable.
3. You then need to get a Qik invite so that you can install the Qik software.
You can now sign up directly through Qik for an invitation - (http://qik.com/sign_up)
4. Once you are set up with your phone and Qik account, you will have to log in to the Qik.com website and select “Edit Profile”.
At the bottom of your profile page, you will be able to fill in fields about your Livestream channel, username and password.
You will also have the option to select “Set streams to LIVE in Livestream automatically”, which allows you to go live automatically on your Livestream channel as soon as you start streaming from your phone. If this option is not selected then one of your co-producer can cue you live at the right time from inside the Livestream studio.
That’s it - you can now go live on your Livestream channel from your Qik enabled phone.
The Qik application allows you to see the online chat in realtime, making it a truly interactive experience.
By bringing Livestream and Qik together, you can enable multiple presenters/producers anywhere in the world to contribute live in a single continuous internet television channel. Just like a real TV station, but without the 300,000US$+ broadcast trucks and staff.
The first demonstration of this capability was done for the US Election coverage by the Livestream channel The Uptake (http://www.Livestream.com/theuptake) and Steve Garfield (http://www.Livestream.com/stevegarfield).
Qik is still in beta!
The integration of Livestream and Qik is currently in beta and any information you can share with us on your experience will help us make it better. We will release an update shortly enabling you to view on the phone the chat messages from the Livestream chat room. Also, please note that the video is currently only recorded on Qik.com, but we will soon release an update which will record automatically the video stream in your Livestream channel too.
Stream from Flash Media Encoder or On2 Flix Live
You can now use Flash Media Encoder to send live streams to your Livestream channel.
Download it free from Adobe: [http://www.adobe.com/products/flashmediaserver/flashmediaencoder/] or On2 Flix Live: [http://www.on2.com/index.php?391]
Flash Media Encoder provides the following benefits when compared to using the Livestream Studio encoder:
- Increased frame rate
- Higher quality (newer codec)
- Full control of encoding settings
- Auto-reconnect when encoding over poor connections (wireless etc...)
On2 Flix Live offers the same benefits as above. In addition, the codec is the latest generation providing even higher quality or lower bitrate for the same quality. (The On2 Flix Live software however has to be licensed at 999US$/year per encoder while Flash Media Encoder is free.)
Both of these applications are unfortunately Windows only.
Setting up Flash Media Encoder with Livestream
1. Download Flash Media Encoder from Adobe's website
2. Open the application.
3. Configure 'FMS URL':
- rtmp://fme.mogulus.com/mogulus/[channel_name_here]/username=[your_username] /password=[your_password]/isAutoLive=[true|false]
- Replace (remove the brackets):
[channel_name_here] with your channel name [your_username] with your username [your_password] with your password
NOTE: your password may not contain special characters. Only letters and numbers are allowed.
- Set isAutoLive=true if you want the feed to go live on your channel immediately or isAutoLive=false if you simply want the feed to appear as a camera in your Livestream studio and manually control when you cue it and go live from the studio.
- Configure 'Stream' : Pick any name without a space or special character. If you are sending multiple feeds to your camera make sure you name them differently.
4. Press Start
That's it - you are now streaming live on your Livestream Channel!
Setting up On2 Flix Live
1. First download On2 Flix Live (demo or full version from ([http://www.on2.com/index.php?391])
2. Open the application.
3. Configure 'Send to Server':
4. Replace (remove the brackets) : [channel_name_here] with your channel name [your_username] with your username [your_password] with your password
5. Set isAutoLive=true if you want the feed to go live on your channel immediately or isAutoLive=false if you simply want the feed to appear as a camera in your Livestream studio and manually control when you cue it and go live from the studio.
6. Configure 'Stream' : Pick any name without space or special character. If you are sending multiple feeds to your camera make sure you name them differently.
7. Press Start
That's it - you are now streaming live on your Livestream Channel !