Old 29th April 2009, 05:32

Unhappy 8 Seconds of lag!

Well, it seems that when I start my broadcast, there's about 3 seconds of latency between when I do something on camera, and when a viewer gets to see it.

Over the course of an hour, this latency will increase to about 8 seconds, and as time goes on, the latency just keeps on building until it's about 16 seconds, which makes it pretty difficult to interact with people in the text chat or people who call in via Skype.

I'm using the Adobe FME to send my stream to Mogulus, and I've tested this same setup on both Justin.tv and ustream.tv and I don't have this same lag buildup. I'm using the XML settings provided from each respective service provider during my broadcasts.

If I restart Adobe FME, then the latency is reset back to 3 seconds.

Not sure what to do at the moment, I'd very much like to continue using Mogulus since people can chat without having to get an account, and well... Mogulus IS a pretty darn good service, latency aside.
Old 29th April 2009, 18:40

I think the problem lies with Mogulus - the Video is been sent and stored but maybe not enough bandwidth to send it back out fast enough.
Old 29th April 2009, 18:49
Administrator

Usually this has to do with the internet connection, especially if you are behind a network firewall. If you contact us directly we can work with you one on one to determine the cause.

-Ben
Mogulus Support
Old 30th April 2009, 09:04

Default 60 Seconds of Lag

I did some more testing today....the result are pretty bad my end..

I am UK based (wonder if this makes a difference) and tried both Procaster and FME and bascially it is 60 Seconds Lag between what I se on my end and what is on screen, this is using 320x240 and no Audio with a mere 300 Speed Setting - considering I have 768K upload - then I fail to see how it is my end.

I am now off to test other providers, will report back

Oh I forget - using the Web interface (Studio) and there is minimal lag....weird.
Old 30th April 2009, 11:22
Administrator

Tom, what is the actual connection speed you get from speedtest.net? As I mentioned if you contact us directly we can work with you to test.

-Ben
Mogulus Support
Old 30th April 2009, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhomer View Post
Tom, what is the actual connection speed you get from speedtest.net? As I mentioned if you contact us directly we can work with you to test.

-Ben
Mogulus Support

The aboev reading was taken while I was testing streaming - so you can see - plenty of bandwidth. I have worked out that no matter who I test with - FME and/or Procaster is the bottleneck, from my tests it seems to be sending data and then the broadcaster when viewed is playing the previous 60 Seconds worth. If I use the web interface - there is minimal lag so I am not understanding why FME in this case (and I assume that what Procaster uses behind the scenes) has so much lag....

Tags
lag latency fme