Old 27th May 2012, 12:17

Question CPU usage

So, every time I run procaster, it runs great for about 30 minutes. Then, without warning, it closes everything, deletes my recording, and gives an error. The error is:

The CPU cannot encode at the current bitrate. Please lower the bitrate and re-start.

My issue is that my CPU never runs over 15-18% when this occurs. Even at the lowest bitrate procaster crashes and blames it on my CPU.

Temps are in the 50-60C range, CPU is built for 100C.

My specs are: Intel Core i7 x940 @ 2.134 GHz with 8 GB RAM. It's not the CPU...what is the problem?

I also have a NVIDIA Quadro FX3800M graphics card (2 GB dedicated RAM). It never runs over 11% at 35C.

HELP!!
Old 27th May 2012, 14:33

Angry

I have the same problem too! It keeps telling me the CPU load is over 80% then stops everything and tells me to change the CPU rate and re-start. And also says… try closing other app or lower quality.

Intel Core 2 Duo ~@2.66GHz | 8GB RAM | Nvidia GeForce 9400 GPU (256MB)

Procaster generates too much CPU load, it doesn't need to be running that high, because whenever it's running it's running at pretty much all the CPU load when it's normally at 3-12% when it's not running. When it is running however it's using 125.0% CPU. It's absurd and ridiculous for it to be running that high, I've used other streaming service like Ustream.tv and it doesn't even run as high CPU load as that, it uses ¼ of CPU load. – Back to the main problem…I've got a connection of 16Mb/s that's plenty to stream at normal quality with Procaster, and there is sufficient minimum hardware requirements to stream too.
Old 29th May 2012, 11:26
Livestream Producer Support

gcfchurch - Could you please send your logs to procaster@livestream.com. In the email please reference this forum post.

ShadWolf - While your system does meet the minimum requirements that is it. With a MacBook Pro with your specs you'd really only be able to encode at the mobile preset without having additional programs open.

Matt
Livestream Support
Old 29th May 2012, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaron View Post
ShadWolf - While your system does meet the minimum requirements that is it. With a MacBook Pro with your specs you'd really only be able to encode at the mobile preset without having additional programs open.

Matt
Livestream Support
That's no good to me if I can only stream without having other apps open. I need to be able to stream while having apps open. I think Procaster needs to be redesigned if people want to be able to stream at the same kind of spec as me. Having it running the CPU usage to 125.0% is ridiculous, I would of expected it to run at somewhere around at 40%. :/
Old 2nd June 2012, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadWolf View Post
That's no good to me if I can only stream without having other apps open. I need to be able to stream while having apps open. I think Procaster needs to be redesigned if people want to be able to stream at the same kind of spec as me. Having it running the CPU usage to 125.0% is ridiculous, I would of expected it to run at somewhere around at 40%. :/

True! Cause I have the same problem and As I start it up with only Paint Tool Sai and youtube then it crashes. I have good old Windows XP( im not getting 7 or Vista) And really Livestream staff don't really help with this problem and need a new redesign procaster so it doesn't run up to 100% so quickly even with nothing but one app.
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:19

Where do I find the logs? I cannot seem to be able to figure out where they are.

Thanks!
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:24

gcfchurch,

You can find the logs by going into Procaster's preferences, then the 'Video' tab, then clicking 'Save Logs' at the bottom of the page. This will save a ProcasterLogs.zip file to your desktop.
Old 10th June 2012, 16:15

Default Logs

They are too large to upload to the thread. Is there a specific one you are looking for?
Old 11th June 2012, 14:10

gcfchurch,

Please see Matt's reply a little further up the page, requesting you send the logs to procaster@livestream.com, referencing this forum post in your email.
Old 15th July 2012, 12:01

I have sent e-mails concerning this issue. It is a recurring problem that I'd like to get a handle on.

Thanks!

Tags
bitrate, cpu, crash, encode