Old 3rd September 2014, 14:53

Default Mid-roll Ad Insertion

I'm in the process of evaluating the Livestream platform for my needs and I have a question about running mid-roll ads. I see that this is an option on the Enterprise platform, however it appears to me that the only method to use them is by using the Studio software on Windows. Is this correct? I'd really like to do my broadcasting from a Mac if possible. Any Mac ad solution?

Also about mid-roll ads... what is delay time when you trigger an ad to when it actually appears? And if I ask for a 20 second ad, how many seconds later does the ad really end from when I hit the button? I'm trying to figure out bumper overlap strategies to make things work seamlessly. How much overlap should I figure on using?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:23

Hi Ron,

Mid Roll Ad insertion is currently only available through Livestream Studio. You would need to be running a PC to use this software.

The Mid Roll is triggered as soon as you insert the ad. Then, there is about a 15-20 second delay for it to show up on Livestream.com due to the latency built into the platform for our DVR function. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:29

Thanks for the quick reply. 15-20 seconds of delay? Wow, and here I was concerned that it could be as long as 5 seconds! I'll have to plan around that somehow. Is the delay somewhat repeatable though? I mean, if I know that there will be a 15 to 20 second delay, can I plan on hitting the mid-roll ad button 15 seconds in advance? Or will this sometimes bite me by occasionally having almost no delay at all?

Ron
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:40

I probably mis-understood what you said. The 15-20 second delay that you speak of... are you referring to the normal latency of the broadcast, even if there are no ads being inserted?

Or do you mean that the ad get inserted at a random point 15-20 seconds later after the button is pressed?

I'm just trying to figure out if the degree of accuracy that I can expect for ad placement. At first, I interpreted your response as saying that ad placement is quite inaccurate, but now I'm no sure what you meant. Can you clarify?

Thanks,

Ron