Old 18th December 2011, 22:01

Default Procaster non-mic audio, only through internal speakers?

I am having a problem with audio, but I'm not entirely sure it's 20.2.28-specific, or is just a recurring/known issue.

I use a pair of external speakers, plugged into my Line In port, and Procaster appears to be unable to work with these. That is, when I choose Speaker's Audio as a source, my sound stops going through my speakers and starts going through the dingy little thing in my tower, which is about three feet away and under my desk. This makes it so that I can't listen to whatever I'm working on (if I'm mixing music, putting together an animation, or just listening to iTunes) and let my viewers also listen to it. The issue, as far as I can tell, is that I can't find a way to configure the "ProcasterAudioredirector" that's appeared in my Output pane in Sound preferences. It seems the default mode for it is "sound -> grab a copy of the sound -> go to internal speaker" but I want it to go "sound -> grab a copy of the sound -> go to Line Out" and I don't know if there's a way to do that.

So I guess that's my question: is there a way to set up "ProcasterAudioredirector" that I'm missing, is there a work-around to get both Procaster and my speakers to work in harmony, or is this a known issue that will be fixed in the future?

I recorded a ~5m clip explaining my issue and demonstrating it (while fumbling around with the client and hacking up a lung, sorry :\) in case that helps, here: http://livestre.am/1byHg (note: obviously procaster can pick up my USB mic just fine, never had any problems setting that up haha)

I actually got the "installation failure" error as well, but when I said "oh well, don't care" and opened up Procaster anyway, it was claiming it was already 20.2.28. I played it safe and reinstalled/restarted anyway (as well as getting any last minute OS updates) and from my brief messing around with it, it's working about as well as my previous version (20.0.20? Not sure, whoops).

I'm running Mac OS 10.6.8 on a quad-core 2.66GHz Intel Xeon with 10gb of memory. I'm running Procaster (for mac!) 20.2.28 (though I had this problem on the previous version for the very brief period of time I tried playing around with it before today's update). My speakers are plugged into Line Out and are Klipsch somethings-or-others.

Here are the steps I've taken already in an attempt to troubleshoot this myself:

1) Restart
2) Reinstall, and restart
2) Uninstall, restart, reinstall, restart
3) Followed the steps on the 20.2.28 forum announcement to get "Desktop Audio" back (this thread: http://www.livestream.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8557 ). Note, I did not find any of the mentioned extensions (which makes me wonder why I don't have them, actually o_O Should I? On second look I DO see a ProcasterAudioRedirector32.kext that's marked as having been modified ten days ago that wasn't listed on that list, at the risk of breaking more things, I'll go through the above steps again after I post this but using that. FOR SCIENCE!)
4) Checked for system updates, installed them (was only like, iTunes and a security update though), restarted
5) made the video linked above and came here :\ Gonna try step 3 again with this Procaster extention in a sec here, heh.

Edit: 6) Uninstalled, removed the ProcasterAudioredirector32.kext file, restarted, and reinstalled. As soon as I opened up the audio mixer, the two "default" devices (my iSight—which doesn't have any audio ability on it as far as I know—and Speaker's audio) leapt into use and my sound immediately switched away from my speakers and to my tower So I guess that didn't fix it either, shucks I was hoping it'd be "easy."

Last edited by xella; 18th December 2011 at 22:14. Reason: more troubleshooting!
Old 18th December 2011, 23:44
Livestream Procaster Support

Hi Xella,

This might be the behavior of the AudioRedirector, and would be happening in previous versions as well.
I assume in the beginning you meant plugged into your line out (speaker) instead of line in.
We will research more into this tomorrow.

Best regards,

Ronald.
Old 19th December 2011, 06:04

Whoops, yeah... definitely meant Line Out there, haha!
Old 19th December 2011, 12:20

I have a very similar issue. I want to stream a couple of games for friends to watch, but I use a USB headset. Unless I use my (terrible) built-in speakers, either they can hear audio or I can, but not both. Are there any fixes for this problem? It's quite frustrating.
Old 20th December 2011, 09:18
Livestream Procaster Support

sashiki23, we are aware of the situation and are working on a stable way to redirect the audio to the correct device.
Old 15th February 2012, 04:47

Just an update to say the most recent version of Procaster (20.2.50) seems to have finally fixed this problem for me My speakers are now happily working in tandem with Procaster, hooray!

Tags
audio issues