Old 30th April 2011, 01:17

Default Lower Quality = No Mobile Streaming

When launching Procastor I have the ability to adjust my "quality" settings for the event I'm about to broadcast. I'm given some options like:

Normal Quality (414kbps)
High & Mobile (700kpbs)

When streaming at "high & mobile quality" users can view my broadcast on their computer or on their mobile device using the Livestream iPhone app. When streaming at "normal quality" only users on computers can view my broadcast. I'm not quite grasping why I can't stream to mobile devices at the "normal quality" setting. It makes sense that it doesn't work because the option isn't listed as "normal & mobile quality," but it just makes me curious.

My predicament is that I have a shared Internet connection where I get 1.2Mbps up on a good day. Sometimes running at the "high & mobile" setting, my broadcasting begins "choking" and eventually dies. So, I drop the quality down to "normal," but I lose all of the viewers watching on their mobile devices.

Is there a way to do mobile streaming at the "normal quality" setting?

Thanks,
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:04
Livestream Producer Support

takeajourney,

At this time there is not the ability to stream to the normal and mobile presets. Future releases of Procaster (including our beta version) have addition presets available.

Matt
Livestream Producer Support
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:54
Livestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeajourney View Post
I'm not quite grasping why I can't stream to mobile devices at the "normal quality" setting.
takeajourney,

For the record mobile users can connect to any Procaster stream if they have enough bandwidth. Streaming in normal quality or a custom quality around 300-350Kbps would probably be a good compromise for your pc and mobile audience.

Best,
Jason

Tags
mobile