Old 27th February 2011, 20:14

Default Ideal Settings for a Game Stream?

I'm wondering what preferences work best for streaming with Procaster. Right now my frame-rate is good and the audio quality is fine but the resolution is pretty poor and it's impossible to read any text whatsoever. Having watched a few other streams, I've seen that it's definiltey possible to increase the fidelity.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 28th February 2011, 18:03
Livestream Producer Support

LaHyenne,

I would suggest streaming with Procaster. By utilizing Procaster you can stream at up to 1700kbps.

Matt
Old 28th April 2011, 14:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaHyenne View Post
I'm wondering what preferences work best for streaming with Procaster. Right now my frame-rate is good and the audio quality is fine but the resolution is pretty poor and it's impossible to read any text whatsoever. Having watched a few other streams, I've seen that it's definiltey possible to increase the fidelity.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
A bitrate of atleast 1024kpbs, higher is better (note that most livestream viewers I've encountered complain that a stream stutters if you stream at 2048. I presume this is a problem with the backend server since they have to knock it down to 500kbps for redistribution on free channels), and a decent streaming resolution (1280x720 to 1600x900, because procaster doesn't support 1920x1080).

The higher the quality your input settings, the higher the quality the output stream will be. (To a point of course, free channels are still low quality)
Old 28th April 2011, 17:43

Live streams are not transcoded to lower bit rates to stream on free channels. They are broadcast at the bit rate set in Procaster. Content made available in the library is however transcoded to the channel quality setting.

Matt
Old 30th April 2011, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaron View Post
Live streams are not transcoded to lower bit rates to stream on free channels. They are broadcast at the bit rate set in Procaster. Content made available in the library is however transcoded to the channel quality setting.

Matt
So you're saying that even though procaster says I'm limited to 500kpbs, it's actually streaming at the 1536kpbs I have set and other people will be viewing it at that bitrate?
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:59
Livestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonshadow View Post
...it's actually streaming at the 1536kpbs I have set and other people will be viewing it at that bitrate?
This is correct. We allow Procaster streams to surpass the 500Kbps limit when broadcasting live. If you're broadcasting live from Procaster at 1536Kbps, that is what your audience is getting.

However if you're broadcasting from Studio or Webcaster, or importing pre-recorded clips into your Studio, you will be limited to 500Kbps.

Best,
Jason