Old 22nd February 2010, 03:00

Default Why is there a message limit now?

At the channel I'm a mod at, we're starting to having users and mods complaining about how they can't post sometimes because of a "message limit" that suddenly exists now. It says the following:

"The current message limit for this channel has been hit. Please try sending your message again later."

We've never had this problem before, even with the tons of people that visit our site everyday. So my question is, why is it necessary for a feature that only serves to be a determent to the posting of the users and mods? Help me understand the logic behind your decision to do this.

Oh, one more thing. The chat lag has also become a serious issue. It used to be minor and only a second or two. Now, it can last anywhere up to 30 seconds now. The end result is a sudden wall of text from everyone posted. A fix for that problem would also be beneficial.

Thank you in advance. A prompt reply would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Alondite; 22nd February 2010 at 03:10.
Old 22nd February 2010, 03:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondite View Post
At the channel I'm a mod at, we're starting to having users and mods complaining about how they can't post sometimes because of a "message limit" that suddenly exists now. It says the following:

"The current message limit for this channel has been hit. Please try sending your message again later."

We've never had this problem before, even with the tons of people that visit our site everyday. So my question is, why is it necessary for a feature that only serves to be a determent to the posting of the users and mods? Help me understand the logic behind your decision to do this.

Oh, one more thing. The chat lag has also become a serious issue. It used to be minor and only a second or two. Now, it can last anywhere up to 30 seconds now. The end result is a sudden wall of text from everyone posted. A fix for that problem would also be beneficial.

That's True, It's really annoying!
Old 22nd February 2010, 03:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alondite View Post

I too am having this problem.
Old 22nd February 2010, 03:51

Default Stupid message limit

Why is it there? It seems like a way to lose viewers and eventually customers.
Old 22nd February 2010, 06:53

I understand the feature... and all in all I don't disagree with having a spam filter. The problem is that the limit between messages is too short. I'm a naturally quick typist, and it's easier to convey tone in live chat rooms if you separate some of your messages like so:

me: that's because you fail at life
1 second later: roflcopter

It just keeps the chat more conversationally "true".

I guess what I'm saying is, this would be a good feature if the timeout for maxing your posts in a thread were about twice as long.

Cheers!
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:50

What everyone said above me x10^10^100
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:41

I hafta agree... it's very annoying -.- but having some experience with forums myself I can understand how stuff like this takes time to fix, so take your time with it, but I hope it gets fixed soon.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:41

really irritating. please come up with something better.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:43

This is rather annoying as all the regulars of the channel copy and paste the message limit thing and then post it in the chat. Clearing the chat works a few times but still does not fix it completely.
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:02
Livestream Software Engineer

Sorry about the inconvenience guys. We weren't aware of that issue.
We have had a 10mgs/s throttle in place for a long time now which triggers this message.
What would help me figure out this problem is:

- Are you guys having this issue with a load that appears to be inferior to that amount (10mgs/s) ?

- Is this something that showed up recently, if yes do you have an estimate when you first saw this ?

Thanks

Tags
limit, livestream, message, procaster