Old 16th March 2010, 09:53

Default camera recommendations

hello:
would someone be kind enough to give me a: a list of current camcorders that work with livestream,b:is firewire the only way to stream from a camcorder to livestream,c: does firewire continue to be a current technology, d: is it possible to go from firewire port on camera to usb on laptop.e: is it possible to stream a hi-def camcorder and finally f:
is there a way to password protect a channel using the free version. thank-you in advance. i have been pulling my hair out trying to find compatible cameras. surely there are enough kind souls out there streaming camcorders that can help me find my way!
frustrated in canada

tim
Old 10th June 2010, 12:59

Unhappy Terratec Grabby + canon legria?

I wonder too and am sorry to see there's no answer here. I try to configure a canon legria HF200 with a Terratec Grabby. Procaster finds the softwear but not the camera. It switches back to the laptop's eye instantly.
Can't wait a few months. Think I shoukd consider using other service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magillicuddy View Post
hello:
would someone be kind enough to give me a: a list of current camcorders that work with livestream,b:is firewire the only way to stream from a camcorder to livestream,c: does firewire continue to be a current technology, d: is it possible to go from firewire port on camera to usb on laptop.e: is it possible to stream a hi-def camcorder and finally f:
is there a way to password protect a channel using the free version. thank-you in advance. i have been pulling my hair out trying to find compatible cameras. surely there are enough kind souls out there streaming camcorders that can help me find my way!
frustrated in canada

tim
Old 10th June 2010, 17:17
Livestream Community Help

Send a message via Skype™ to davidaron

Quote:
hello:
frustrated in canada

tim
Most newer cameras with pass-through video should work. Pass through means the video is passed through the camera live to the firewire or RCA video/ audio jacks. If the connection is not DV, you will need a converter box to convert it to that. USB will work for webcams.

HD and password connect are Premium features on Livestream.

Hope this helps.
Old 12th June 2010, 00:00

For more detail.
DV and HDV camera in DV mode works with firewire.
RCA will work with devices ranging from Canopus to EasyCap.
Many new HD cameras use HDMI and for that Blackmagic and even AVerMedia has something.

It's important to note most cameras with USB (except webcams) only use USB for data transfer and not video.

Not all devices and drivers are compatible with all systems so make sure you can return anything you buy.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:05

How much do plan to spend in a camera?

Quote:
hello:
frustrated in canada

tim
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:01

Smile Camera Suggestions

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some suggestions for camera, i'm using a macbook pro and procaster.

I'm looking at a possible purchase of a DSLR, but maybe i should consider something else?

Cheers
Old 23rd January 2011, 15:41

A Canon Vixia HV40 would be good as it has DV Firewire mode.

If you MacBook Pro has an Express port and you want HDMI in you could use a Matrox MXO2Mini.

DSLR is an interesting idea. You need to keep some things in mind. If using HDMI output you need to check the format when camera is in standby mode (assuming you're not going to try to record with the camera which will present problems). Also check to see if there's a composite out.

For HDMI out see the aforementioned box (again Express port only for MacBook Pro) for Composite out you'd need to get a Grass Valley ADVC-55 which can convert the signal to firewire.

A DSLR is interesting because the potential shallow depth of field could soft blur the background. On the other hand the camera may overheat or shout off if left in standby for a long time.
Old 24th January 2011, 17:31

Thank you so much for the comment, i never really thought about the overheating, was about to purchase the Canon Mark 7D but they did not have a firewire cable which was a bummer.
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:43

Default camcorders for Livestream

Our school district bought a Sony HDR- FX7 handycam to do our various school events, sports and many other uses as we go along. You don't have to have one that nice (approx $2,000) but we also needed to be able to record in HD for some events. Most any camcorder that has firewire output will work, although they are getting a bit tough to find! I have no experience with the USB-firewire adaptors/convertors mentioned in other threads but that might be another option is cost is critical.

We have had a fantastic response from our patrons/parents/grandparents/family and friends about the broadcasts! People really appreciate being able to see their kids play whatever when they cannot possibly be there due to location, work or whatever.

Hope this helps!
Old 2nd February 2011, 23:38

I have the same camera you use for your school but I don't know how to connect it to livestream. Can you help me with connecting it
Thanks.

Tags
camera