Old 27th December 2010, 12:06
Livestream Producer Support

Default Multiple cameras

You can achieve this by adding your guest(s) as a member of the production team by doing this they can broadcast live to your channel. I recommend taking a look at the following URL for additional information.

http://www.livestream.com/userguide/...t_up_your_team
Old 9th January 2011, 20:58
Livestream Community Help

I wonder how this worked out.
If you need to create a two shot you could have your friend call you with Skype Video and use both your camera and Screen and create a 2D or 3D two shot. You may need to bring in your friend's audio with Virtual Audio Cables.
Old 11th January 2011, 14:25

Default Need help equipping for a live event

Hello!

New Livestream user here looking for some guidance streaming a one-night (8 hours) event happening in a couple weeks. It's an art opening with many (upwards of 30) pieces, each with a unique audio/performance element.

We are using four to six Zoom Q3HD cameras setup in static positions to capture the event. here's a link if you are unfamiliar: http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=2062

It's basically a flip cam with better audio.

So. I guess I'm looking for recommendations to build my uplink stations. The space has three floors, so I was thinking I'd have one station a floor, to save on cables. This setup, however, assumes that multiple cameras can run to a single computer.

We have a little money to play with ($2k, cameras are a donation), so here's a list of gear I'm thinking. If anybody out there can help me out with feedback, it would be a great help. We're going into the space next Monday (January 17, 2011) to set up, so I want to get everything together this week.

The List:
6 Zoom Q3HD cameras (donated)

3 cheapo laptops (w/ethernet ports or wireless cards)
- 3 floors, so I'm thinking one laptop per floor

Some kind of mobile internet solution
- mobile 4G hotspot or 3 cards per computer

Lot of cables

Cards - how would this work? These cams are going to be mounted high for good angles, but running for many hours. Does anyone know how to handle running the video to the computers without actually filling up cards? I imagine it's a camera specific question, but any thoughts would help.

Bateries, etc.

OK! Thanks everybody. Looking forward to hear from you all.
-Brian
Old 12th January 2011, 14:57
Livestream

Hello Looseworld, welcome to Livestream.

Your proposed setup doesn't seem very effective for the following reasons:

-The Zoom cameras you intend to use are not built for streaming. You would be much better off with decent quality webcams - from Logitech, for example. Perhaps you could dip into your budget, as this will really simplify things.

-Mobile internet is problematic for live streaming. I highly recommend streaming only from a wired connection, if possible; Livestream recommends a minimum upload bandwidth of 700Kbps. You can test your speed at speedtest.net. A note on mobile internet: it's not nearly as reliable as a dedicated line, and also other people in your area may be pulling from your bandwidth, despite any speed test results.

-Every camera you use will need to be connected directly to a computer if you plan on streaming live.

Best,
Jason
Old 12th January 2011, 16:05

Hey Jason. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlive View Post
Hello Looseworld, welcome to Livestream.

Your proposed setup doesn't seem very effective for the following reasons:

-The Zoom cameras you intend to use are not built for streaming. You would be much better off with decent quality webcams - from Logitech, for example. Perhaps you could dip into your budget, as this will really simplify things.
The trouble with a webcam is that we are trying to get a view of the full room with decent sound. The idea is to mount them 10 feet or so off the floor, pointed downward.

Can you recommend an HD cam with quality audio? Would a webcam be capable of producing a quality image for such a large area? The rooms are sizable.

Quote:
-Mobile internet is problematic for live streaming. I highly recommend streaming only from a wired connection, if possible; Livestream recommends a minimum upload bandwidth of 700Kbps. You can test your speed at speedtest.net. A note on mobile internet: it's not nearly as reliable as a dedicated line, and also other people in your area may be pulling from your bandwidth, despite any speed test results.
Unfortunately, we are bound by the location. No wired connection exists. The plan is to rent mobile modems (one per computer, private connection) on Verizon's new LTE service. I've seen tests where it clocks in between 1 Mbps and 12 mbps UP.

Quote:
-Every camera you use will need to be connected directly to a computer if you plan on streaming live.
So that means for 6 camera's we'd need 6 computers. Yes?

Thanks again.
Brian
Old 12th January 2011, 17:32
Livestream

Hey Looseworld,

An HD webcam is going to be your best bet. Check out the Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910. It has great image quality, solid audio, and has been tested extensively with Livestream:
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam...s/devices/6816

Since you plan on mounting the cameras up high, I recommend coming equipped with USB extension cables.

You can connect multiple cameras to each computer (providing the computer meets the minimum system requirements and has available ports).

Jason
Old 14th January 2011, 06:52

Default Beginners Guide To Broadcasting An Event

Hi,

We're looking to webcast a live event. Unfortunately, we won't have access to all the equipment until shortly beforehand, so I'm looking for help to make sure we have everything right.

We have a two camera set up plus a laptop running a PPT presentation plus a microphone. All of these feed into a Sony AnyCast.

We have a not especially highly specced Dell Laptop we're planning on using.

The questions are:

What do I need to get the audio and video from the AnyCast to the laptop? What are the options in terms of budget (i.e. is there a cheap way and an expensive way? is the expensive way much better?)

[I currently have a cheap ($50) S-Video & Composite to USB capture cable: presumably that's pointless as it has no audio (unless I can connect the AnyCast audio direct to the laptop which I can't seem to under ProCaster?)]

Should I use ProCaster, or is Flash Media Encoder a better bet?

If the mixing is being done on the AnyCast, is a laptop OK for just accepting the video input and broadasting via ProCaster/FME?
Old 14th January 2011, 11:47
Administrator

Your best bet with this setup is probably going to be to run composite out of the AnyCast into an analog digital converter such as a Canopus ADVC110 which will convert to Firewire which you can run into your laptop. If you have the budget for an AnyCast you shouldn't skimp on the encoding computer because this is also going to be critical to the quality of your broadcast.

Our team uses i7 laptops when encoding which should have more than enough power. If you have the ability to get your hands on a quad core machine like this that's ideal, if you don't you can get by with a lower powered machine but make sure you keep an eye on CPU usage when testing as you may need to lower resolution and bitrate to compensate. I would recommend using Procaster as it will provide at least as high quality as FME if not higher and will allow you to simultaneously encode a mobile compatible stream as well.

Finally the one thing you left out here is the connection, you should make sure you have a wired connection, ideally at least a T1 with an upstream bandwidth guarantee above the bitrate you plan to encode at.

-Ben
Livestream Support

Last edited by benhomer; 14th January 2011 at 11:53.
Old 14th January 2011, 17:38

Question I'm new to livestream. looking for advice on live video

I am wanting to record live video and audio footage. I think I will try to plug into a main mixer board for pure sound. I am just wanting advice on how to set it up, best/effective/affordable equipment to use, etc.
Question- can I use my laptop (macook pro) for video?
Question- what is the best way to plug into a mixer to get the audio? (... what if I use a video camera but want the audio from another source?)

thanks to anyone who takes time out to help/point me in the right direction
Old 14th January 2011, 18:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickckirk View Post
I am wanting to record live video and audio footage. I think I will try to plug into a main mixer board for pure sound. I am just wanting advice on how to set it up, best/effective/affordable equipment to use, etc.
Question- can I use my laptop (macook pro) for video?
Question- what is the best way to plug into a mixer to get the audio? (... what if I use a video camera but want the audio from another source?)

thanks to anyone who takes time out to help/point me in the right direction
Nick,

What exactly are you trying to broadcast? You can use a MacBook Pro to stream, however I'd strongly suggest getting a more power system with an i7 processor. If you're trying to get the feed from an audio mixer simply take the line out and plug it into the mic jack on your computer.

I hope this is what you're looking for.

Matt Baron
Livestream Producer Support

Tags
amateur radio, auto pilot, broadcasting, camcorder, camera, cant view livestream, delete video, desktop, empty, ham radio, help?, interesting, internet connection, library, live, live event, mac, multi, multiple cameras, new user, newbie, picture in picture, procaster offline help, recording., screen, screen capture, screen share, setting, skype procaster, streaming, technical support, troubleshooting, video, what you hear, window