Old 3rd June 2011, 08:29

Talking Why?

Why haven't y'all implemented this?

This would be amazing if used.

!. People can keep better track of their favorite casters.

2. You'll know when the casters are doing live feeds at that time and all at once.

3. You'll be able to see the number of viewers on a specific channel(s) at that time and all at once. At times, this can be VERY important.

4. You can get notified in-site on anything: new videos, upcoming live feeds, etc. Rather than relying on emails. (Which CAN be tedious)

5. No need to have to go through all these channels just to find a good one. You can have a recommendation system based on what people put in a section for a search query. The queries of the channels in your favorites/watches. Or base it off of what others watch that have watched that channel.

I'm not sure as to why you haven't done this yet, maybe because it'll pretty much become a new, better, youtube. Or y'all feel that there's no need to have this feature for some reason... (New features cost money. More costs means "cut-backs")

I guess one would argue that the site is mainly used for embedding. (I'm assuming, of course, because of the block feature on sites for premium accounts) Going further one might say that since it's used mainly for sites, they could just go to those sites. But then I would say... Why go to all these different sites when you could get what you wanted from each of these sites, all in one place... Livestream. (But then again... Those sites may have forums and other things to go along with the content of the stream. But this can be solved by just having a website link in the main page of the channel on here)

I guess then someone would say, "But since the embedding blocker is used for sites that MAY not want their streams on other sites... This would encourage more people to pay for the premium on here just so they could block it from other sites. Thus THEIR site is getting the views yata yata yata...money."

But then I guess I'd say, "You gotta spend money to make money." I'm new here, like 3 days new, and by the sounds of it; this was done before but then taken down. I don't know what happened, but having this feature can only make more traffic come here. A kind of thing where there are the casters and there are the watchers, and with the more traffic the more possible random channels. But more channels can only bring more viewers... But too many channels can create a kind of "channel overload"... Basically... It'll become a new form of television...

I kind of got off track here, (And I'm usually wrong about these things) but a question still comes to mind...

Why haven't y'all implemented this?

An actual answer rather than a "We're looking into it" response would clarify things much better. Then again... This is YOUR site.

(I also just realized that a simple thing as a favorites tool went WAY out of hand here... And I apologize for that)
Old 27th June 2011, 00:44

Default Help!

How can you subscribe to a user?
I cannot find a button that says subscribe or follow or anything....
Old 27th June 2011, 18:13
Livestream Producer Support

You'll need to bookmark the channel(s) you wish to follow, as this currently isn't a function of our platform at this time.

Matt
Old 30th June 2011, 23:20

Thumbs down

Lame. I only signed up because I wanted to follow certain people. I still have to search for them or get linked from another site?! What was the point of signing up at all? Why should I help support the site by giving them my information and viewing their ads if I get nothing in return.

~Annoyed
Old 1st July 2011, 00:47

Default Watch for favorite channels?

is there any websites or built-in feature that will allow me to track my favorite live streams? ie I like to watch a few specific streams but they're on so rarely.
Old 2nd July 2011, 05:43

I agree, signing up for this site seems rather pointless without important features like these... The site still serves a purpose, but with great inconvenience. Making it easier for users to keep track of their favorite shows would definitely be a great idea. Please, in time, add this feature as soon as you can. This will enhance my experience with your site, as well as the experiences of many other users. Thank you kindly for reading our feedback.
Old 3rd July 2011, 17:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_18 View Post
is there any websites or built-in feature that will allow me to track my favorite live streams? ie I like to watch a few specific streams but they're on so rarely.
dm_18,

I have moved your post to a thread that already speaks to your question.

Matt
Old 4th July 2011, 04:52

well that answers my question. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was searching every where for this feature; and I just assumed I some how missed the feature.

Considering the APIs of the website. It seems like it might be possible to make some sort of website that would be a list manager. Maybe the kind of thing where you sign up, and then can create your own lists of streams to watch for. Perhaps even share lists. Maybe rate streams. Sort your favorites list(s) by total number of current watchers. Maybe even suggest streams based on your current rating of other streams.

I wonder what kind of web hosting would be required to host such a service. And how cheap such a service could be hosted for.

Maybe I can use curl to check a stream's status. I'll have to look at it later.

Last edited by dm_18; 4th July 2011 at 05:06.
Old 4th July 2011, 05:35

I took a look at the web page of a stream; there is nothing on the page that shows if the stream is off line or online.

I'm wondering if http://cdn.livestream.com/grid/LSPlayer.swf knows if the stream is active or not. Or if the 'off line' message it displays actually comes from the streaming server.
Old 4th July 2011, 11:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_18 View Post
I took a look at the web page of a stream; there is nothing on the page that shows if the stream is off line or online.

I'm wondering if http://cdn.livestream.com/grid/LSPlayer.swf knows if the stream is active or not. Or if the 'off line' message it displays actually comes from the streaming server.
You can use a command within the Channel API to retrieve Live Status of a channel:

''http://xchannelnamex.api.channel.livestream.com/2.0/livestatus.xml''

Make sure to replace "channelname" with the desired channel name (i.e. http://xproshowcasex.api...).

More information on that can be found in the Userguide section for Channel API: http://www.livestream.com/userguide/...el_Live_Status

Last edited by Henry_live; 4th July 2011 at 11:54.
Closed Thread

Tags
bookmark, channels, favorite, follow, save, subscribe