Old 12th July 2010, 12:50

Exclamation Making a list of cameras that work

If you're successfully using a camera with Livestream, how about hitting "Reply" and entering:

1. The OS you're running and whether it's 32 or 64-bit
2. The type of camera (webcam, IP camera, camcorder, etc.)
3. The make and model of the camera
4. Any other software you're using with the camera

so we newbies can have a starting point to work from?

Thanks!

Last edited by compumom; 12th July 2010 at 13:25. Reason: add details
Old 31st July 2010, 01:29
Livestream Community Help

That list would be HUGE
That's probably why no one has responded.
Basically any DV (not HDV unless in DV mode) and webcam should work.
There are many ways to get HDMI (AVCHD) and HD-SDI cameras to work with various cards and boxes too.
IP cameras I'm not sure about but there are programs that they do work with that will send to Livestream.
Old 26th August 2010, 14:38

--------------
--- 1 --- CONFIRMED
--------------
Sony DCR-TVR310 NTSC
This is a older digital camcorder that records on a digital8 casset tape. NOT HD
It has a fire wire connector. I connect it via firewire to a sony laptop that I bought specificly because it has a firwire ( i1394) port. The laptop runs Vista. It recognized the camera and automaticly installed a Microsoft driver. The camera shows up in webcaster as "Microsoft DV Camcorder"
From the factory defaults change the following:
<1> To prevent the camera from runing a demo during your broadcast, Turn of "Demo Mode" via the camera's menu.
<2> To prevent the camera from turning off after 10 minutes, Connect to AC power and open the tape compartment, (leave it open during broadcast.)
all of the Sony Camcorders that have firewire and hi 8 tape that I have tried seem to work.

I have also used simular sony camcorders that record to the mini tape. NOT HD! They also work but you can disable the auto power off via a menu and do NOT have to leave the tape compartment open all the time.

ADVANTAGES:
(1) You can record to tape and stream to the web at the same time, This gives you a backup recording on tape for on-demand or auto pilot should something go wrong during a live webcast.
(2) You can power this camera from AC with the battey installed. Connected to a laptop, both the camera and the laptop will rebert to battery in the event of a power failure.
(3) You have a long optical zoom without the pixilizatation you get on nearly all USB web cams. (Great for Football Games)

--------------
--- 2 --- CONFIRMED
--------------

Panasonic PVGS300
This is one of the few camcorders that will stream out to a USB port. Most camcorders with USB only act as hard drives when cnnected to a PC. You can copy the previously recorded files (videos) from the camera and then upload the files to livestream, but you can NOT stram live video from most other USB only camcorders.
It use as a web cam:
(1) install the panasonic supplied driver.
(2) connect the usb cable
(3) Set the mode switch to RECORD
(4) in the camera menu set [advanced] [USB function] [WEB CAM] to ON

Note that you must reverse the above proceedure to be able to access the recording function of the camcorder, The camera will not act as a web cam and a cancorder at the same time.

ADVANTAGES:
You have a long optical zoom without the pixilizatation you get on nearly all USB web cams. (Great for Football Games)

DIS-ADVANTAGES:
(1) You can NOT record to tape and stream to the web at the same time. The menu option to switch from record to tape and record to USB is hard to access and clumbersome when switching between modes.
(2) you can not connect an analog monitor to the camera when in web cam mode that only works in camcorder mode. You will be restricted to small preview on the LCD screen of the camera -- OR -- the preview in your livestream application.
(3) AC is conneced to the camera by removing the battery and inserting a corded dummy batter that is connected to an AC adapter. In the event of a power failure, recording and streaming will be interupted untill you manualy remove the AC adapter and install the battery.

--------------
--- 3 --- CONFIRMED
--------------

Sony HDR-SR10 This is a FullHD 1920x1080 AVCHD High Definition camcorder.
It records to internal hard disk and memory sticks. It connects to computers with USB.

This is one of the many camcorders that will NOT stream out to a USB port. Most camcorders with USB only act as hard drives when connected to a PC. You can copy the previously recorded files (videos) from the camera and then upload the files to livestream, but you can NOT stream live video from this camcorder. Acording to Sony Tech support all of the consumer HD camcorders do NOT stream video out the USB or firewire cable. To do that on any HD camera you have to upgrade to one of their semi-pro or profesional cameras. Even then, not all of them include the streaming feature, the lowest cost HD camera that reportedly will stream is the HDR-FX7.

--------------
--- 4 --- RUMORED TO STREAM
-------------- (I've talked to Sony support and am considering one of these.)

Sony HDR-FX7 This is a high Definition MiniDV )HDV) Handycam
It records to tape and memory sticks. It connects to computers with USB.

Sony support claims this one will stream and record at the same time. However, the on line manual does not back up this claim. CAN ANYONE CONFIRM THIS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE? List price is $2,000.00

--------------
--- 4 --- RUMORED to NOT stream.
-------------- (I've talked to Sony support and am considering one of these.)

Sony HVR-HD1000U Sholder mount budget priced pro camera
List price is $1,800.00

According to sony support this will NOT stream, however, the rather vague wording in the manual does not confirm this. (Like most manuals and specifications they tell how to connect the camera and claim that the camera works with USB but does not specify that the camera streams or only copies previously recorded files.)
Old 26th August 2010, 19:19

Send a message via Skype™ to davidaron

Thanks so much for this. Its a big help!
Old 14th October 2010, 15:04

Default These work Great

Panasonic HPX 300
Sony PMW EX1
JVC GY-HD110U

I used all the above with livestream
Old 14th October 2010, 15:19

Send a message via Skype™ to davidaron

Thanks!
Old 15th October 2010, 12:14

Talking

i have 2 camcorders, the first one is panasonic pv-gs29 paid 29.00 on ebay, has a fire wire man, works great , then i got a canon vixia hv40 paid over 600.00 new fire wire also, im about to go live outdoors, it is taking little bit , but i will be there, cant wait
hope this help
Old 15th October 2010, 12:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteous View Post
Panasonic HPX 300
Sony PMW EX1
JVC GY-HD110U

I used all the above with livestream
According to the sony site, the PMW EX1 does not show as having a firewire. It does show as having a USB port. However, the manual discribes downloading files from the camera via USB, but I can't find any mention of streaming via the USB port. According to Sony tech support, that camera does not support streaming. How did you connect the camera? Via the hdmi connector, USB port, or ntsc RCA cables?
While it is posible to connect almost ANY camera, DVD player or VCR to a computer using a video capture card like a ATI All-In-Wonder or Dazzle device, this is not always an option for laptops or some destops. Please don't list cameras as working with livestream without telling us HOW it is connected. While almost any video device can be connected to a pc with some sort of video capture hardware, I think most people would be very upset if they bought a 6,000.00 camera and find they can not replace a 100.00 webcam with it.

Bob Grosh Tallasseetimes.
Old 17th October 2010, 22:32

EX1 firewire can be HDV if you set it that way. USB is data only. I use it with SDI out though. Analog out can work too. That's why I don't find this list productive. Virtually any camera with live out somewhere (which is virtually any camera) can be made to work with proper hardware type device.

Matrox MXO2 (Mac only for streaming so far) accepts, Composite, Component, S-Video, HDMI, SDI. Must have PCIe slot or Express port. Give that computer has firewire and USB that covers just about anything you can throw at it.

Blackmagic Intensity Pro handles HDMI, Composite, Component, S-Video on both Mac and Windows with PCIe slot. DeckLink also handles SDI.

Grass Valley ADVC-55 and ADVC-110 handle all sort of analog sources by converting to DV on firewire.

Livestream itself can handle DVCProHD on firewire for those who have that format camera.

So basically every camera, with the right hardware, will work with Livestream. Key is RIGHT HARDWARE.
Old 23rd October 2010, 06:13

Default A Video USB grabber that works

1. The OS you're running and whether it's 32 or 64-bit
2. The type of camera (webcam, IP camera, camcorder, etc.)
3. The make and model of the camera
4. Any other software you're using with the camera

I am running windows 7 32 bit
connected to a vision mixer via composite yellow video lead

I am taking sound from my sound mixer a yamaha MG1666cx-usb through USB

the USB card is a K-World Hybrid TV Stick Pro model UB424-D

Well worth the 89 paid for it.