#1  
Old 5th May 2010, 06:09
westreamu westreamu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10
Default Time zone not recognized

I have configured our channels to be "GMT+1 Stockholm" (which btw I am not sure if daylight savings time is acknowledged, and it would be nice to see what time Livestream displays so one could check that the time is right).

But the issue is that when I create an event, times are EDT. Of course I could figure out what our local broadcast time is in EDT-time, but that would definetely confuse our viewers.

I consider it a bug that the time configuration is not recognized all over the channel service.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 6th May 2010, 00:58
cseeman cseeman is offline
Livestream Community Help
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,296
Default

I've tested and noted the same thing. I'll notify the techs.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 9th May 2010, 08:08
davidaron davidaron is offline
Livestream Community Help
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 586
Send a message via Skype™ to davidaron
Default

Forwarding to Livestream Support. The Event listing widget is also not displaying dates correctly. Thanks for the heads up.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10th May 2010, 13:54
RickStern RickStern is offline
Livestream Project Manager
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 407
Default

All time related settings now reference EDT for the sake of consistency.

-
Rick Stern
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24th May 2010, 06:48
dcerveralv dcerveralv is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6
Question Can the Time Zone be changed in the event listings?

I want the event times to be Pacific Time but they always show as EDT or Eastern Daylight Time. What am I supposed to do to change the Time Zone? I do have my Time Zone set to Pacific in my configuration page.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28th May 2010, 04:11
mgloerich mgloerich is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickStern View Post
All time related settings now reference EDT for the sake of consistency. Rick Stern
Consistent for whom? All of the viewers of my channel (NGN) are dutch, in The Netherlands we don't even think in time zones since we only have one time zone. All of my broadcasts are at 16:00 EDT, but my viewers see and think 'Upcoming event, 10 o'clock in the morning?' How's that consistent?

Either make time zones user dependent (if a user is signed in, it will show time in the preferred time zone) or make it channel dependent (a channel owner decides what time zone to show to its users, even if they are not signed in).
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28th May 2010, 11:18
davidaron davidaron is offline
Livestream Community Help
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 586
Send a message via Skype™ to davidaron
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgloerich View Post
Consistent for whom? All of the viewers of my channel (NGN) are dutch, in The Netherlands we don't even think in time zones since we only have one time zone. All of my broadcasts are at 16:00 EDT, but my viewers see and think 'Upcoming event, 10 o'clock in the morning?' How's that consistent?

Either make time zones user dependent (if a user is signed in, it will show time in the preferred time zone) or make it channel dependent (a channel owner decides what time zone to show to its users, even if they are not signed in).

Try subtracting 6 hours from your event posting's start and end time, and that should do it for you. EDT is Eastern Daylight Time in North America. That is why. Set your event at start at 10:00, and it should work.

Last edited by davidaron; 28th May 2010 at 11:32.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 31st May 2010, 05:30
mgloerich mgloerich is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaron View Post
Try subtracting 6 hours from your event posting's start and end time, and that should do it for you. EDT is Eastern Daylight Time in North America. That is why. Set your event at start at 10:00, and it should work.
I know how to calculate it, but most of my viewers will be confused that they see 10 o'clock when I say that the next live broadcast will be at 4 in the afternoon.
I'm Dutch, my channel is Dutch and my viewers are Dutch, so 99% of the people who have anything to do with this channel are on CEST, why do I need to use EDT?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 31st May 2010, 09:24
davidaron davidaron is offline
Livestream Community Help
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 586
Send a message via Skype™ to davidaron
Default

I'm sorry, does it not recalculate to 16:00 CET when you make it 10:00 EDT? Back timing it does not work?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2nd June 2010, 11:16
mgloerich mgloerich is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaron View Post
I'm sorry, does it not recalculate to 16:00 CET when you make it 10:00 EDT? Back timing it does not work?
I'm not sure what you mean. Of course people get notified at the correct time (16:00 CET) when I'm using (10:00 EDT). That's not the problem, the problem is that Dutch people see upcoming events in a Dutch channel owned by a Dutch person in a timezone they don't understand: EDT.

As a viewer who's logged in want all the times on Livestream mentioned in my timezone.
As a channel owner I want to specify what timezone is used for anonymous users.

That's all.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
channel configuration, edt, events, listings, pacific, time zone, time zones, utc

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump