Old 2nd May 2010, 15:52

Unhappy Huge memory leak?

I just downloaded the newest beta version .33. The first time the .pkg wouldn't even install the contents, the second time I redownloded and when I went to broadcast my screen it instantly crashed on me several time saying to quit memory hogging applications. The thing is Procaster was the only application I have open so I'm wondering if it doesn't have a memory leak of some sort.
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:04
Livestream Community Help

It's hard to evaluate without system specs.
Please post complete specs of your system.

As a test try streaming your webcam (iSight if built in) only and report what happens.

This will determine whether the issue is specific to streaming the desktop.
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:25

My bad. I'm using OS 10.6, 2.4 Ghz Intel 2 Duo. 1Gb 800 MHz

I tired it with the webcam and it didn't act up, it just seems to be desktop specific. I watched with the activity monitor and what seems to happen is this: if you start with webcam and switch to desktop, it seems to be alright per say but it does climb up but far more slowly. However if you start with desktop capture the memory is eaten up and it stops, taking up over 470mb of memory once it has stopped and continues to do so till you quit it.

I've tried quitting the program and starting it with the desktop stream switched on, it still leaks massivly and quits. So with the cam to desktop, it's very slow but still there, and with the desktop stream it seems to leak 50+ MBs at a time.
Old 4th May 2010, 21:01
Livestream Community Help

Thanks for that. I tested on my system and it climbed to over 1GB of memory use. I'll let the powers that be know.

Last edited by cseeman; 4th May 2010 at 21:06.
Old 11th May 2010, 05:36
Procaster Team

Cool

Hi guys

sorry for the delayed reply. this might be a bug, and we would appreciate if you could:
1. update to version 35 (the main downloadable now)
2. save the logs (preferences/video/save logs) and send us to procaster@livestream.com with a link to this thread

thanks for the report
Lior, Livestream
Old 12th May 2010, 05:43
Procaster Team

Cool

hi guys

we think that it's not a memory leak. It's buffering of video frames from Desktop. As they are bigger then from camera it looks like memory leak. But in real MemoryAllocator allocates needed size of memory about 500-700 MB and then use it.

therefore, its probably a network/output resolution combination issue, where the resolution was too high for the bandwidth you have. frames were buffered and not went out

thanks
Lior, Livestream
Old 17th May 2010, 15:08

Thanks for getting back. I guess I'm going to have to upgrade my mac's memory then.