Old 1st May 2010, 13:44

Unhappy Crashing Procaster

Hello,

I would like to ask about an error I get every time I try to live stream my drawings. I have already tried to play with all the settings, yet this error always repeats itself. The procaster tries to force me to change my resolution to 1024x768, but this setting is just laughable.

I have one of the newer versions (if not the newest - not sure atm since I downloaded it...circa 1 month ago) of Procaster. Also, it seems that it dies on me all the time, but likes to do that especially when I have Photoshop running. Please give me some help on this since I really need it to work.

Thank you for any reply.

P.S.: This is how the error looks like:

http://img580.imageshack.us/i/errorf.png/

Last edited by Deceptikitty; 2nd May 2010 at 08:05.
Old 1st May 2010, 20:15
Livestream Community Help

Download and install the current version of Procaster.

Now I need to know EXACTLY what your are doing.
"Drawings" doesn't tell me what program Procaster is looking at.
Do you have Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator open or maybe it's a JPEG, PNG or PDF in some other program. You need to tell us that.
Also what are the dimensions of the drawing?
What are your screen dimensions?

That error only shows you have a video device error.
It doesn't say how Procaster is "forcing" you to change your resolution.
You have to tell us exactly what happens. "I do this, this pops up, I then see this change, etc."

Maybe there is something about your graphics card setting and how it's handling the monitor size.

You have to post all the information so we can help.
Old 2nd May 2010, 08:04

Well, did what you told me Uninstalled whatever the version I had (through add/ remove) and installed the newest one - Procaster 10.0.124, from your website. No change though

As I said I am using Photoshop (CS3 to be more precise). I have maximum of 3 pictures open (though 99% of the times only one, the one I am working on, which is a .psd file). Sometimes I have Infraview open with a .jpg picture as a reference, though normally I do not. Also, the dimensions of my drawings vary from 500x700+ pixels (though most often its 1000x1000+), but the picture screenshotted was exactly 1994x1426 pixels.

My screen resolution is 1280x800 in 32bit color quality. If it will be of any help, I'm working on a notebook, a HP Compaq 6730b to be precise, but with reinstalled Windows XP system.

About the forcing...that was when I had quality suggestions set on. Got a popup right before a crash asking me to change the resolution to said one (also something about "cannot reach fps", but I have no idea what to set them to in this case). And pretty much immediately after that, the program crashed with the video device error.

To sum it up, when I turn on Procaster (I have only Windows Messenger turned on and antivirus [I added Procaster to exceptions] by default), if I do nothing, it takes around 5-10 minutes before it crashes. But when I turn on Photoshop, it will either crash immediately (during PS's start up) or soon after I open ANY document (be it a .psd, .jpg, .png or other). Even if I turn it on again, it will crash pretty much 1 minute later.

Dunno about the video card driver, but even though it IS a possibility, I didn't encounter any problems with it, be it games or any other program so far.

I hope the info is all right...

Thank you for the time

Last edited by Deceptikitty; 2nd May 2010 at 08:08.
Old 2nd May 2010, 17:21

Thanks. That's exactly the info I need.

I'm going to have you try a couple of things.
In Photoshop, scale the image so that no dimension is larger than you 1280x800 screen size.
This will determine if there's an issue with the image dimension and your GPU.
Tell me what happens.

Next export the image scaled down as noted above in PNG or JPEG format and open in Infraview (there's also Irfanview just in case you meant that).
This will tell me if Photoshop and or Photoshop and the image dimension is creating an issue with the GPU.
Tell me what happens.

Basically I think it's that either Photoshop is making demands on the GPU and/or the image dimension is creating an issue with the GPU because it's being told to encode the screen dimension and and image size which it sees as larger than the screen dimension.

I think the safest thing would be scaling the image to something no larger than your screen size and using a PNG or JPEG in a viewer other than Photoshop.
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseeman View Post
Thanks. That's exactly the info I need.

I'm going to have you try a couple of things.
In Photoshop, scale the image so that no dimension is larger than you 1280x800 screen size.
This will determine if there's an issue with the image dimension and your GPU.
Tell me what happens.
Tried that and nothing changed. Died on me in 1 minute with the same error. Pretty much no change at all.

Quote:
Next export the image scaled down as noted above in PNG or JPEG format and open in Infraview (there's also Irfanview just in case you meant that).
This will tell me if Photoshop and or Photoshop and the image dimension is creating an issue with the GPU.
Tell me what happens.
Oh my, sorry for that one...it IS Irfanview I just never stopped to read it right, lol. Anyway, same as the other test, crashed after less than 1 minute.

Quote:
Basically I think it's that either Photoshop is making demands on the GPU and/or the image dimension is creating an issue with the GPU because it's being told to encode the screen dimension and and image size which it sees as larger than the screen dimension.

I think the safest thing would be scaling the image to something no larger than your screen size and using a PNG or JPEG in a viewer other than Photoshop.
Now I really don't know what to do. If it crashes in both programs should I use MS paint then? XD In fact, I just tried MS Paint with a 340x340 pixel square as well and it crashed under 1 minute - 40 seconds or so to be precise. I think I'll go hang myself now xD

Thank you for your time, but this program makes me cry now :P
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:24

Double check that you've updated to the latest graphics driver for your card.

What happens you just stream your desktop itself?
Old 2nd May 2010, 19:02

Quote:
Double check that you've updated to the latest graphics driver for your card.

What happens you just stream your desktop itself?
Well checked, and I had one version older driver installed, but upgraded to newest now. After that tried to stream the desktop only and again it crashed after 40 seconds of stream So all on all no change I'm afraid
Old 2nd May 2010, 19:43

Actually this confirms it had nothing to do with the drawings or program hosting them.

Skip displaying the desktop and just try streaming a webcam and see what happens.
Old 2nd May 2010, 19:58

Quote:
Actually this confirms it had nothing to do with the drawings or program hosting them.

Skip displaying the desktop and just try streaming a webcam and see what happens.
Nooow I tried streaming video for 10 minutes straight through camera and it worked perfectly. Or at least, it didn't crash at all, but I doubt it would even if I were on for half an hour or more The program just hates me
Old 2nd May 2010, 20:37

If a webcam works and desktop crashes I'm inclined to believe it's GPU related.

Can you post your full system specs?

Tags
crash, error, procaster, unable to stream