Old 30th April 2010, 17:11

Default Decreasing the delay of live feed

Heya,

I just wanted to ask, is there a way to do decrease the time it takes for the video streaming through to the actual channel so that they are virtually synchronised? If not, are there any tweaks I can make to make them more synchronised to real-time?

I am broadcasting from my desktop, by the way.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 30th April 2010, 17:38
Livestream Community Help

Send a message via Skype™ to davidaron

What's your delay? You would be hard pressed to get anything under 8-10 seconds, also depending on your location.
Old 1st May 2010, 01:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaron View Post
What's your delay? You would be hard pressed to get anything under 8-10 seconds, also depending on your location.
It's about 5-7 seconds, but that is way too much for what I am trying to use it for. There must be something I can do to decrease that.

And regarding my location and connection, I am in England and have a 20 mb connection (unless it's been upgraded again since I last checked).
Old 1st May 2010, 14:39

Send a message via Skype™ to davidaron

Thats actually very good!!
Old 1st May 2010, 21:32

Yes that's very good. It's the nature of the technology. It has to go through the servers and get distributed and that takes time.

Even if I setup a stream going to a built in server on the same computer with encoding software and then play that in Quicktime on that same computer, I can still get a delay of a few seconds. The processing takes time.
Old 2nd May 2010, 05:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseeman View Post
Yes that's very good. It's the nature of the technology. It has to go through the servers and get distributed and that takes time.

Even if I setup a stream going to a built in server on the same computer with encoding software and then play that in Quicktime on that same computer, I can still get a delay of a few seconds. The processing takes time.
Yes, I know.

But what I can help is the upload rate, my connection only has an upload rate of 485kbps; is there anything I can do to optimise the speed of the upload? In Procaster, I have allready decreased the video target bitrate to 30 from 500, it seems to have helped a bit; but there is still about a 2.5 - 5 seconds delay, which I can't really afford with what I'm doing.
Old 2nd May 2010, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsaeisWiVio View Post
Yes, I know.

But what I can help is the upload rate, my connection only has an upload rate of 485kbps; is there anything I can do to optimise the speed of the upload? In Procaster, I have allready decreased the video target bitrate to 30 from 500, it seems to have helped a bit; but there is still about a 2.5 - 5 seconds delay, which I can't really afford with what I'm doing.
What would be the best encoder for this? The quality isn't too important, what's paramount is the speed of the broadcast to what's actually happening; so that it is virtually live.

Could anybody suggest what the best encoder would be for this endeavor?
Old 2nd May 2010, 18:25

You might want to try Adobe FMLE and test both H.264 and On2VP6 codec.
I do think the speed of the encoder is only one part of the equation so I don't know if your delay is going to get any better.

I don't think you will get anything better than a few seconds delay. It's the nature of the technology.
Old 2nd May 2010, 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by cseeman View Post
You might want to try Adobe FMLE and test both H.264 and On2VP6 codec.
I do think the speed of the encoder is only one part of the equation so I don't know if your delay is going to get any better.

I don't think you will get anything better than a few seconds delay. It's the nature of the technology.
Adobe FMLE only seems to be able to record what's on webcam, but I need to record whatever is on my screen.

Yes, but the encoder can help.
Old 2nd May 2010, 19:12

On Windows you can try something like WebCamMax. On the Mac you can use CamTwist. They can send the screen to Adobe FMLE.

Tags
delay, live, live feed delay, synchronisation