Old 10th October 2009, 07:09

Default PROBLEM - 2.5 hour broadcast came out as a 13 second recording

Hi Everyone,

I've run into a number of difficulties with the server-side (i.e. Livestream) recordings of broadcasts. I use the latest version of Wirecast on a mac to stream h.264 flash (300kbps or so), but due to processor usage I do not record to disk on my side of things, and therefore rely completely on Livestream for archiving.
Recently, I used livestream to conduct a number of 3-hour long broadcasts, some of which were split into a few separate streams due to other technical difficulties (that is - I had to restart the broadcast in the middle, which means Livestream will treat each such connection separately and will create separate mp4 files for each).

On the last broadcast I did, what should have been a 2.5 hour-long mp4 file came out with a duration of 13 seconds. The size is there - 282.5 MB - but the result seems like an extreme fast-forward of the content. Somehow, everything appears to be in there - only impossibly squished together. The clip duration appears as 02:24:34 on the list but as 0:13 when selected.

The craziest thing though - is that when I embed it (through the option given in Livestream studio) it plays normally, all 2.5 hours.

Since I do want to download it - any suggestions how I could try and redefine the length of the clip - stretch it out as it were? Or is there another way to access the file? Since everything is actually there alright - is there a way for Livestream to fix this?

Thanks,
Mich'ael Zupraner
Old 18th October 2009, 03:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zupraner View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've run into a number of difficulties with the server-side (i.e. Livestream) recordings of broadcasts. I use the latest version of Wirecast on a mac to stream h.264 flash (300kbps or so), but due to processor usage I do not record to disk on my side of things, and therefore rely completely on Livestream for archiving.
Recently, I used livestream to conduct a number of 3-hour long broadcasts, some of which were split into a few separate streams due to other technical difficulties (that is - I had to restart the broadcast in the middle, which means Livestream will treat each such connection separately and will create separate mp4 files for each).

On the last broadcast I did, what should have been a 2.5 hour-long mp4 file came out with a duration of 13 seconds. The size is there - 282.5 MB - but the result seems like an extreme fast-forward of the content. Somehow, everything appears to be in there - only impossibly squished together. The clip duration appears as 02:24:34 on the list but as 0:13 when selected.

The craziest thing though - is that when I embed it (through the option given in Livestream studio) it plays normally, all 2.5 hours.

Since I do want to download it - any suggestions how I could try and redefine the length of the clip - stretch it out as it were? Or is there another way to access the file? Since everything is actually there alright - is there a way for Livestream to fix this?
Well H.264 support on LiveStream is WEAK at best (Some people think this is a misgnomer, but it really isn't).

You're better off using VP6 & streaming in Flash that way instead of trying to mess around with H.264 at this time. I think Ben & Rick have repeatedly said that this will be improved as time goes on, but for now, H.264 streaming just isn't very stable on LiveStream at the present moment.

In other words, it's a BETA feature. Not suitable for those who either rely/demand/pay for professional quality streaming or other people who (No offense as this describes me too) aren't technically-minded enough to know how to stream in H.264 & do it reliably.

Hope this helps

Cheers
As My World Turns (Lifecast) | As My Weight Loss World Turns TV (Weight Loss) | Back To The Future TV (Classic TV & Movies) | WSO-TV Soap Opera TV (Classic Soap Operas) | KB0OXD Cybershack TV (Ham Radio) | The Left Wing Conservative TV (Politics)
Denver, CO

Tags
download, error, mp4, recordings, studio