Old 9th September 2009, 10:49

Default Help using Canon HF S100 to broadcast

Hi, I really hope someone in here can provide me with some good advice.

Livestream Studio wont seem to recognize the newly bought USB-connected Canon HF S100 in the "camera sources". I've read a ton of posts in here, but haven't found anything that could help me. I use a Macbook Pro and the camera is connected through USB (no firewire support). The only source that does work is of course the built in iSight.

I'm not sure where the problem is, but I've tried with a lot of settings.
1. The camera is in "PC Connection", while I try all available camera sources in Livestream Studio.
2. The camera is connected, but not in "PC Connection", while I try all available camera sources in Livestream Studio.

Anyone familiar with the issus or have great ideas for sharing, I'd be certainly very grateful!
Old 9th September 2009, 11:49
Livestream Community Help

I have Canon HF 200. The USB ports on the flash card Canon Vixia cameras are for data transfer only. They are not live out.

Live out is either analog or HDMI. To use HDMI on a laptop you'd need Matrox MXO2mini ($449) and a MacBookPro with Express slot (only current 17" or older 17" and 15" from 2008).

It's amazing that there aren't more and cheaper HDMI to "something" boxes out there given the number of HDMI out cameras these days.

Basically the flash based cameras (AVCHD) are HDMI out which, while inexpensive as cameras, make them very expensive to support as streaming cameras.
Old 14th September 2009, 09:53

Default Help using Canon HF S100 to broadcast

Hi cseeman, and thanks a lot for the advice!

I suppose this means, that I can't use "live out" through the Canon HF s100's HDMI-port unless I have a Matrox MXO2mini (or something similar in function and expense) and a MacBookPro with Express slot?

Do you know if I'd be able to use the Component-out with LiveStream instead? For instance by use of a component to DVI cable with the Macbook Pro.

Best regards,
Christian
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:24

Did you get this resolved? I also have the same camera and am having a hard time. I have purchased a USB video capture device but it still seems I'm having a hard time to connect. let me know. Thanks,
Old 27th August 2010, 14:16

Considering Livestream is 100% focused, as a company, on live video streaming, you'd think they would have more information, instructions, reviews, etc. on compatible camcorders. They have one pathetic section that lists "certified" camcorders. However, three of them are USB only camcorders, which means that when they say "certified" it probably means you can record to the camcorders hard drive and then upload later. That's not exactly "live streaming."
Old 29th August 2010, 20:53
Livestream Community Help

Where are you finding "certified" cameras?

DV cameras, DVCPro HD cameras, Webcams (USB) work directly.
Other cameras can work depending on streaming software and hardware adaptors.

HDMI cameras may work with Blackmagic Intensity Pro for example or, on Mac additional with Matrox MXO2Mini
HDV cameras can work in DV mode.

Many/most video cameras (other than webcams) with USB ports only use those ports for data transfer. That's not a Livestream issue.

Tags
broadcast, canon hf s100, connectivity issues, recognize