Old 29th August 2009, 23:46

Default Free Storage Question (Not a gripe, I promise <3)

I'm currently trying to trim my library down (just got it to 20gigs from 40 -.-)

And I was wondering about a few things:
1. If we have 1 500kb clip in 2 storyboards, would that add up to 1 gig, or would it only count as 500kb?
2. Does 1 storyboard of 5 clips result in any more/less storage than 5 storyboards with 1 clip each?
3. Do all storyboards count to the storage limit? (youtube, recordings, uploads)
4. Is there a way to store our videos in a more compressed form so that we can keep under the limit without removing all of our recordings? (Any format we should broadcast in so that the recordings are smaller, or maybe some compression process that we could download, compress, and re-upload)

Thanks a Bunch
Conrad500
Old 1st September 2009, 08:28

Default I also have a question as well

Does the quality of the video have anything to do with the amount of GB space used?

What I am asking is if the videos are HQ videos than the normal quality videos - do they take up more GB storage space than a standard quality video would?

I have managed to get my storage from 75.50gb to 22.20gb and am trying to get it down to 10-15gb if possiable so I don't have to pay or have a small fee for storage instead of paying 75-100$ for storage.

Also if I entered my CC info today, is any data stored in my channel ok ?

Thanks
Old 1st September 2009, 08:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad500 View Post
I'm currently trying to trim my library down (just got it to 20gigs from 40 -.-)

And I was wondering about a few things:
1. If we have 1 500kb clip in 2 storyboards, would that add up to 1 gig, or would it only count as 500kb?
2. Does 1 storyboard of 5 clips result in any more/less storage than 5 storyboards with 1 clip each?
3. Do all storyboards count to the storage limit? (youtube, recordings, uploads)
4. Is there a way to store our videos in a more compressed form so that we can keep under the limit without removing all of our recordings? (Any format we should broadcast in so that the recordings are smaller, or maybe some compression process that we could download, compress, and re-upload)

Thanks a Bunch
Conrad500
The answer for #1 is if the clip is in 2 storyboards and it totals up to 500kb then its 500kb in total. (assuming that the clips are 250kb per 1 storyboard, 2 250kb clips =500kb)
Old 1st September 2009, 10:25
Administrator

Technically yes, it's likely that the higher quality the file the larger the file, but any files uploaded to free channels will be automatically transcoded to channel specs so they will be below 500Kbps. You could still transcode on your end and upload using the "use uploaded file as master" option to upload lower quality below this bitrate and that would reduce storage though you probably wouldn't gain very much by doing this and would lower quality.

Once you enter a credit card your account will be set for monthly billing based on the storage used above the included 10GB.

-Ben
Livestream Support
Old 7th September 2009, 18:47

Hello, I also have a question about the storage.

There seems to be a huge disparity between the size displayed on the file information and the total on the channel stats.
For example, having 1.6Gb of data will show up 3.6Gb on the channels page. Deleting everything and adding only a small 150Mb file will display double that size on the channel total.
And yes, I am waiting 3 hours before checking the total, so it updates.

I know I'm not in the position to demand anything, since I'm a free user. But I was wondering is there any way to avoid this "bloating"? Could it be related to the file format? (MPEG4)
Old 8th September 2009, 04:52

MPEG 4 is a very compact and efficient video compression algorithm. I'm not sure what could be causing this issue, though.
Old 16th September 2009, 05:42

Bumping for an answer. I'm having the same problem where I'm down to around 10-12GB of content and it's counted as double.
Old 17th September 2009, 01:50

Far be it for me to hijack the thread, but here goes.....

I posted my response to the storage space crackdown in the announcements section (Where it awaits your approval BTW) & I have to say that while my four stations (With the one under this account having the most files & the biggest playlist of them all) might well exceed 10 GB of data transfer, but I seriously doubt that either of them exceed 10 GB in storage space.

I take it that data transfer & storage space aren't considered one & the same here, correct? Feel free to check them all out. The URLs are all below.

Please PM me if I need to remove files from any of my stations as I no longer have "plastic $$$" (Got into some BIG TIME T-R-U-B-B-L-E-S with that stuff) *Look of embarrassment*

[i]Psst....You know what would help Ben is if you guys put up a meter of some kind showing us how much space is used out of the allocated space for our account as per the Pricing Plans. Just a thought though.

Cheers
As My World Turns (Mainly my lifecasting page) | WBF-TV Back To The Future TV (Classic TV) | WSO-TV Soap Opera Television Network (Classic Daytime Soap Operas) | TLWC TV (Home Of The Left Wing Conservative Political Talk Show) | KB0OXD Cybershack TV (Ham Radio)
Englewood, CO

Tags
compression, file size, limit, storage