Old 7th July 2009, 21:37

Default A Few Questions

First off, I'm using the free service. Now on to the questions!

1) What's the highest quality video I can go? Low, Normal, High, or HD?
2) In Preferences, under Video, I can manually change the resolution...how high can I go on that?
3) Aspect Ratio, am I limited to 4:3, or can I go 16:9?
4) Is there a cap on the Target frame rate for free?
5) What about Target bitrate?
6) What is "Keyframe intervals?"
7) Is there any way to not stream audio? I don't mean by clicking in the Audio tab and going to Settings then moving the volume slider to 0, because I'm pretty sure that just makes it so you're still broadcasting audio, just at no sound. Can anybody confirm this?
8) Am I limited to Mono, or can I go Stereo for free?
9) Under Desktop, what does "Use hardware acceleration" do? Also, does it apply to all sorts of video streaming, even in game streaming?
10) Lastly, I can't see the icon in game anymore, but it's still on. I can see it for a split second every time I Alt+Tab though.

Thanks!
Old 19th July 2009, 08:14

Can anybody please answer any of the questions?
Old 20th July 2009, 13:57

1) What's the highest quality video I can go? Low, Normal, High, or HD?
HD. no limit is enforced at this time
2) In Preferences, under Video, I can manually change the resolution...how high can I go on that?
as high as you want - but it will impede your frame rate
3) Aspect Ratio, am I limited to 4:3, or can I go 16:9?
no limit is enforced at this time
4) Is there a cap on the Target frame rate for free?
nope. but a low bandwidth does affect it
5) What about Target bitrate?
same answer
6) What is "Keyframe intervals?"
see here for a keyframe definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_c..._Key_frames.29. the interval is in seconds. in short, the larger the interval, the better the frame rate but the less the quality is

7) Is there any way to not stream audio? I don't mean by clicking in the Audio tab and going to Settings then moving the volume slider to 0, because I'm pretty sure that just makes it so you're still broadcasting audio, just at no sound. Can anybody confirm this?
that's correct.

8) Am I limited to Mono, or can I go Stereo for free?
no limit is enforced at this time

9) Under Desktop, what does "Use hardware acceleration" do? Also, does it apply to all sorts of video streaming, even in game streaming?
it applies to 2d and 3d mixes on some machines with updated opengl drivers

10) Lastly, I can't see the icon in game anymore, but it's still on. I can see it for a split second every time I Alt+Tab though.

that's a bug. you can restart the game and procaster, and that should be resolved. if not, please follow http://www.livestream.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019

Thanks!

thanks!
Lior Messinger:
Livestream, VP of Game and Desktop Products
Old 20th July 2009, 16:52

Thanks for all the answers! So just to confirm, there's currently no limit enforced on the free version of Procaster? I can stream in HD all I want, if I wanted to?

Lastly, is it better to use hardware acceleration or not? I haven't noticed a difference, so I don't know what's the point of using one over the other.

[EDIT]

Quick question, sometimes when I open Procaster, the advertisement on the bottom, underneath Preferences and the quality selection doesn't show. Instead, I can see the scrollbar on the right side, and I see a white background. When this happens, when I start streaming, I can't see my own chat, I just see a white background with the scrollbar on the right again. Sometimes I actually get a 404 error from your website, and restarting Procaster doesn't seem to work 100% of the time, but rather, 10% of the time.

Last edited by DiZzyBonne; 20th July 2009 at 17:56.