Go Back   Livestream Forum > Support > Cameras & Equipment

Old 29th August 2009, 04:11

Default Interesting: Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 --> no more than 13 fps???

I use an autofocus webcam (Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000) on a steady position for a overview over a sports track. The image quality vs upstream is what I expect, good enough for its purpose.

I do want moving images to appear as fluent, so I aim for 20 fps at the least, the resolution is 352 x 288 pixels.

Strangely enough: with non-autofocus webcams (Logitech 4000) I can stream 20 fps at that resolution easily (CPU at 17%), but as said with the Logitech 9000 pro it's 13 fps. Even tho the CPU is only 22% occupied! At 13 fps the upstream is about 200 kbps, I have allowed it to go up to 500. RAM memory should be enough, 1 Gb. I have switched sound off, just to be sure...

I do want to use the 9000, the colours ate superior, images sharper (autofocus) than the cheapo webcam.

Anyone have any ideas??

Set up:
- running FMLEcmd (3.0) as background process via Windows XP's 'scheduled tasks' at startup.
- Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000
- CPU is 2.0 GHz Intel P4-mobil
- Mobility Radeon 7500 gfx

All suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 29th August 2009, 10:19

Im not sure but if you have too little light the camere might set its shutter speed to a low value (In your case ~1/13). To raise the shutter speed and the fps you could (if possible) use TV-Mode and set the correct value (1/20 or greater).
Note that this is only a theory.
More info about AV/TV:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture_priority
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_priority
Old 30th August 2009, 07:48

Default Solved!!

You were right, its light conditions. I haven't found settings that would force the webcam to use the fps I want regardsless of light, but I can easily set up the right light conditions. Now I know why the testing in the office didnt give me the proper results. Thx!!!

Tags
fps, upstream, webcam