Old 13th June 2009, 12:51

Question Stretching the embedded aspect ratio?

I've been searching for an answer to this for the past few but I can't seem to find it.

I want to broadcast live a 1024x768 desktop area, and embed it into a 16:9 area on our site, stretching and distorting it as necessary to fill the entire area, so that there are no letterboxes.

However, so far the only way I've been able to do this is via FME. But I want to know if I can do this with Procaster, without involving FME.

Inside Procaster configuration, the aspect ratio setting seems to have no effect - it still displays letterboxes.

I am really at a loss at this point. I hope someone can help us out.

We run a PRO channel, btw. Thanks!
Old 16th June 2009, 15:39
Procaster Team

Default Aspect ratio

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand correctly the problem, as you should be able to do this very easily: just click 16:9 on the video settings tab, and broadcast your dekstop as-is by using the Screen button after broadcast has started.

the 16:9 Aspect Ratio would stretch the output resolution to be in a 16:9 ratio.

Hope This Helps

thanks
Lior Messinger
VP of Game & Desktop Products
Livestream
Old 16th June 2009, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by liorm View Post
Hi,

I'm not sure I understand correctly the problem, as you should be able to do this very easily: just click 16:9 on the video settings tab, and broadcast your dekstop as-is by using the Screen button after broadcast has started.

the 16:9 Aspect Ratio would stretch the output resolution to be in a 16:9 ratio.

Hope This Helps

thanks
Lior Messinger
Livestream
Hey there Lior,

That's what I thought too - unfortunately it doesn't work. It STILL displays my 1024x768 desktop with vertical letterboxes on the sides, even though ProCaster is set up with 16:9 ratio.

Here's a screenshot of my video settings page.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg procaster.jpg (44.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 18th June 2009, 15:44

Cool

Hi eteplitsky

ok, now I understand the problem. You are right, this is a bug and we have scheduled it for a fix. Meanwhile, the only workaround is to set the desktop resolution to 16:9 or as close to it.

thanks
Lior Messinger
Livestream
Old 18th June 2009, 16:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by liorm3 View Post
Hi eteplitsky

ok, now I understand the problem. You are right, this is a bug and we have scheduled it for a fix. Meanwhile, the only workaround is to set the desktop resolution to 16:9 or as close to it.

thanks
Lior Messinger
Livestream
Lior,

That is a bummer. Any idea of when the fix will be out? Is there a beta release that contains the fix that we can try?

Failing that - what is the easiest way to display 16:9 on monitors that do not support it? Ie: using letterboxes in standard resolutions?
Old 18th June 2009, 17:45
Procaster Team

Cool

Hi eteplitsky,

One way would be indeed to have the black letterboxes. another, maybe more powerful way for webcasting would be the following:
1. Broadcast your 1024x768 in its native 4:3
2. Create a new embedding of the player, and change its size to your liking
a. on the player, click Embed
b. change the original 400x400 size to a 4:3 size. if you change this to 1024x768 for example, you would get a 1:1 webcast of your desktop
c. copy the embed code and use it in your page

The fix is not scheduled yet but I would think it should be in a few weeks.

Hope this helps
thanks
Lior Messinger
Livestream
Old 18th June 2009, 19:18

Quote:
1. Broadcast your 1024x768 in its native 4:3
2. Create a new embedding of the player, and change its size to your liking
a. on the player, click Embed
b. change the original 400x400 size to a 4:3 size. if you change this to 1024x768 for example, you would get a 1:1 webcast of your desktop
c. copy the embed code and use it in your page
Lior,

Yes, that's something i considered, however the problem is: we need to display a CHAT area for our viewers, and considering they've got a 1024x768 display area to monitor, that makes them have to constantly scroll back and forth to maintain a conversation with the host (we do e-learning), since we put the chat right below the video area.

That's why the compromise was to squish the display into 16:9 ratio. It won't be as pretty, but it will fit without losing too much detail.

Do you have any suggestions about this? Perhaps some different way of displaying the chat area, thus making it possible for us to show this in 4:3 ratio without so much scrolling?

Thanks!
Old 19th June 2009, 12:42
Procaster Team

Cool

Hi

If you use the default embed code, then the chat would be presented as an overlay on top of the player, shown when the user clicks on chat button. But - you could also put it underneath if it would be better for you. to do that, go to the studio, get player widget section, and choose the 'good for blogs with chat' Preset. then get the embed code (you can change the resolution as we said earlier).

HTH

thanks
Lior Messinger
Livestream
Old 4th July 2009, 22:24

I have the same problem but in reverse. I have a 16:9 ratio but want to broadcast in 4:3. No matter what I do it still always starts out as 1680 etc and 16:9 ratio.

Is there any way possible to fix this? Im getting tired of having to broadcast 4:3 ratios in 16:9.

And if not I suppose a fix is coming up for it soon as you mentioned?
Old 15th July 2009, 14:04

Post Any updates on this?

Hey guys,

Have there been any developments on this aspect ratio bug?

Is there a beta version of ProCaster we can try?

We really do need this feature.

Thanks!

Tags
16:9, aspect, ratio, stretch