Old 10th September 2013, 22:09

Question Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio Compatability

HI Livestream,
I know you may not have an answer for me, but I hope you do. Are you able to tell me if the ATEM television studio switch by Blackmagic design, is compatible with Livestream software? Im in the plans of purchasing this technology and I hope it works as good or better as other blackmagic products. Thanks for your time and keep up the great work.
Old 11th September 2013, 04:26
Livestream Producer support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtree1 View Post
HI Livestream,
I know you may not have an answer for me, but I hope you do. Are you able to tell me if the ATEM television studio switch by Blackmagic design, is compatible with Livestream software? Im in the plans of purchasing this technology and I hope it works as good or better as other blackmagic products. Thanks for your time and keep up the great work.

Hello,

ATEM Television Studio is one of the certified devices which will work with our platform. You can refer our online store for a list of certified devices
http://store.livestream.com/collecti...tion-switchers
Old 27th July 2014, 15:44

Angry ATEM Television Studio work in Studio 2???

I read here in the forum that ATEM Television Studio is among the list of devices compatible with Livestream Studio 2, and then I decided to buy your Livestream Studio 2. then with great disappointment just purchased online by reading the list of compatible devices I find that the 'Atem Televiosion Studio is not compatible with Studio 2. Now what do I do with Livestream Studio 2? But why? What does this mean? You can not!
Old 20th August 2014, 12:47

Default ATEM Television Studio (TVS) With Livestream Studio v2

(in case others stumble upon this question as i did...)

The TVS is explicitly NOT compatible with the Studio software: http://help.livestream.com/customer/...ticles/1538850

Why? I have no clue. The TVS's H264 stream over its USB 2 port has been and was promised on both technical and marketing levels at livestream to continue to be a supported, "certified" device. This compatibility with such an extremely popular piece of broadcasting hardware is something that has brought many people to livestream to begin with.

To add insult to injury, they list many (7 at the time of writing) thunderbolt devices compatible with the Livestream Studio software. However thunderbolt i/o is nearly non-existent in the windows-based PC world, even at the very high end, and Livestream Studio is WINDOWS-ONLY software!

This wouldn't bother me in the slightest if the livestream hadn't already spent the last few years establishing the notion that the TVS is a reliable device that will play nicely with Livestream's infrastructure. that's unfortunately not the case.
Old 20th August 2014, 20:05
Super Moderator

Hi Santacruzskim,

The ATEM TV Studio is a certified device with the Livestream Producer software, and will remain so.

While it will work with a more linear program like Producer, the processes required to transmit realtime encoded H.264 HD video over USB 2.0 (like that used by the H.264 pro recorder and the ATEM TVS) will not work with a higher level program like Studio -- which works with uncompressed signals -- and which needs the transfer speeds that USB 3 offers.

In short, USB 3 will work with Studio. USB 2 will not.

(Non-USB 3 ATEM devices would need to output via SDI/HDMI).

"However thunderbolt i/o is nearly non-existent in the windows-based PC world, even at the very high end, and Livestream Studio is WINDOWS-ONLY software!"

While it's true for the moment that Studio is Windows-based, enough users utilize PCs with Thunderbolt i/o that BlackMagic has created drivers with a compatibility layer that allow for this. These drivers are built atop the same base that otherwise allows for broad-range BlackMagic/Studio compatibility, and Thunderbolt has the transfer speed necessary for transmitting HD and/or uncompressed video signals.

Livestream Producer Support

Last edited by bblinder; 21st August 2014 at 20:23.

Tags
atem, blackmagicdesign, television