Old 14th March 2012, 00:13

Default Very distorted sound when streaming on procaster

Hello everybody,

I have a big issue with my streaming. I am trying to set up my stream settings for the first time to broadcast my DJ sets live. My set up is as follows:

External hard drive (3.0) with music, connected to laptop
Traktor Scratch Pro 2, using music from hard drive
American Audio Versaport, with outputs 1 and 2 = deck A and Outputs 3 and 4 = deck B
American Audio MX-1400 mixer, with deck A and B routes to line 1 and line 2
Record Output on mixer connected to input 1 of Versaport.

I have the line in of the Versaport as the only audio input on procaster and get a signal and everything but, after tuning to the test channel made to do sound checks, the sound is majorly distorted. I get a nice sound when listening to my cues and master on my physical mixer so the issue is either the Versaport settings or the computer settings.

I tried doing this before by using a RCA to 1/8" jack into the my mic input of my laptop but the sound was distorted and I believe the mic was picking up external sound anyway (connected to the built in camera) so I bought a new interface with inputs. Now that this is still happening, even with my new interface, I think there must be something wrong with the computer settings.

This issue is somewhat urgent since I am scheduled to play tomorrow and don't want to delay it again. Can anybody please help me!? Any aid would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DJCentripetal; 14th March 2012 at 00:26.
Old 14th March 2012, 00:41

Default Stutters/Skipping in Audio when Streaming

Hello everybody,

In addition to my audio quality issues when streaming my DJ sets (see: http://www.livestream.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9079), I am also having issues with the sound dropping out for a very short amount of time, sounding like a skipping noise. I can hear this on my physical mixer and see it occur on the VUs and, as a result, hear this occur on the test channel used to do sound checks.

This only occurs when I stream so I assume that it is because of my computer being worked harder than usual. This perplexes me though since the laptop has a Intel i7 processor, 6 MB of RAM and 2 GHz speeds.

Can anybody help me figure out why this occurs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's my set up:
External hard drive (3.0) with music, connected to laptop (Samsung RC512)
Traktor Scratch Pro 2, using music from hard drive
American Audio Versaport, with outputs 1 and 2 = deck A and Outputs 3 and 4 = deck B
American Audio MX-1400 mixer, with deck A and B routes to line 1 and line 2
Record Output on mixer connected to input 1 of Versaport.
Old 14th March 2012, 03:30

So I've discovered in Traktor the "load" meter which tells me how much CPU is dedicated to the internal audio system and when I stream, this enters the red zone when the music drops out. Now that I know the cause, does anybody have solutions to how I can make more CPU dedicated to the Traktor system so that my music doesn't drop? (Sorry, I'm not too computer literate past basic stuff)
Old 14th March 2012, 11:47
Livestream Producer Support

DJCentripetal,

The distortion might be caused by the sampling rate being set differently from the source and the encoder. Could you please confirm you're using Procaster and if so the version number. This can be found by opening the preferences menu and clicking the "i" at the top right-hand corner.

Matt
Livestream Support
Old 14th March 2012, 11:50
Livestream Procaster Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCentripetal View Post
So I've discovered in Traktor the "load" meter which tells me how much CPU is dedicated to the internal audio system and when I stream, this enters the red zone when the music drops out. Now that I know the cause, does anybody have solutions to how I can make more CPU dedicated to the Traktor system so that my music doesn't drop? (Sorry, I'm not too computer literate past basic stuff)
Procaster uses alot of CPU power when trying to stream Multiple qualities. What qualities are you attempting to stream at?
Old 14th March 2012, 17:47

I am using Procaster, the most up to date version 20.2.69P. My Traktor settings have the sample rate at 44100 Hz and the sample rate of the encoder is also 44100. I am broadcasting using a custom setting, and not any other qualities. Right now I have a target bitrate of 200, and the custom quality states that it is at 328 kps with the settings and camera I have. Someone said that the cutting out may be due to reduction of power to my USB devices when streaming and DJing. I'm going to buy a powered USB today to see if that rectifies the issue.
Old 14th March 2012, 18:28

Discovered a solution to the sound dropping out. The load meter on Traktor doesn't signify the CPU load (even though it says CPU) it shows the load on the Traktor audio system. Looked online and apparently a way to reduce the load on the Traktor's system is to disable the multi-core processing support in Traktor. Seemed pretty damn counter-intuitive but, indeed, it did reduce the load and now I can stream with no drop outs.

Still unsure of why I have distortion when using my audio interface. I have figured out a way to route my mixer output to my mic input on the laptop with good sound but I still would rather figure out the issue with the interface, since I bought it mainly as a recording input device. I heard that Traktor is not fully compatible with 64 bit data but I am not sure if that is right or how I would fix it if it is true. I run 64 bit Win7 and, when I tried uninstalling the 64 bit driver of my audio interface and install the 32 bit driver, Windows says that it cannot be installed as 32 bit. So, if the bit is the issue then I'm pretty much screwed it seems. Any insights?
Old 14th March 2012, 19:53
Livestream Procaster Support

DJCentripetal, pending on how the cpu of the audio system is created, it will be faster with one core, it's basically the processor architecture slowing it down.

For your audio problem, can you record a clip where it has this issue so we can listen to it, we might be able to tell where the bottleneck is.

Tags
distorted, djing, dropping, procaster, processor, signal, traktor, versaport