Old 10th April 2009, 20:35

Default Trim or Edit the Flash Recordings

Watching some of my first recordings, the quality differs from one to another quite a lot. At first I was overdriving the sound terribly, and it even knocked the audio way our of sync.

1. Are there any on-line tools to trim or discard bad parts to a Mogulus recorded show? Also to be able to take a shorter excerpt from a show for Youtube, and then if you could load to Youtube as easy as it is to download from youtube, would be a fantastic service. Then we could easily promote our show and the Mogulus site to all the YT users.

2. Lacking that, what is a good way to work with the flash files once they are downloaded? I converted them with Prism to various formats, but still there was a horrendous render time in Final Cut to work with it, and then just a few wrong movements and it asked to render again?

3. Truly I don't know how to work with flash files, so it must be easier than my silly work-around.

Thanks for your tips.

Richard Miller
Old 11th April 2009, 03:19
Livestream Community Help

Send a message via Skype™ to davidaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverNotHere View Post
Watching some of my first recordings, the quality differs from one to another quite a lot. At first I was overdriving the sound terribly, and it even knocked the audio way our of sync.

1. Are there any on-line tools to trim or discard bad parts to a Mogulus recorded show? Also to be able to take a shorter excerpt from a show for Youtube, and then if you could load to Youtube as easy as it is to download from youtube, would be a fantastic service. Then we could easily promote our show and the Mogulus site to all the YT users.

2. Lacking that, what is a good way to work with the flash files once they are downloaded? I converted them with Prism to various formats, but still there was a horrendous render time in Final Cut to work with it, and then just a few wrong movements and it asked to render again?

3. Truly I don't know how to work with flash files, so it must be easier than my silly work-around.

Thanks for your tips.

Richard Miller
MPEG Streamclip

http://www.squared5.com/
Old 19th April 2009, 07:52

According to the squared5 website it doesn't support .flv It is my understanding that is what Mogulus exports.
Old 26th April 2009, 23:06

Default If we could do small edit chores on Mogulus

I guess my cable modem has a "hiccup" every hour or so because my several computers running, all loose connection at the same instant. (We interview and bring several people in on skype). In those instances controller and everything drops. So we just start over, including our recording.

It would be so cool to be able to cut off that re-start-up bit and catch a sentence that flowed with where we were so brutally interrupted. (Not by Mogulus mind you). It would save hours of patch work done off site to fix our archive.

Of course the archive runs on the auto pilot and is revenue producing to Mogulus.

Thanks
Old 27th April 2009, 00:30

Default flv repair

Since I still have this window open, I might as well tell you what I go through (how crazy I must be).

1. Download Mogulus flv files. This is usually fast, but it can be strange that the file size doesn't always seem proportional to the length. (20 min = 20 meg, then 130 min = 230 meg?) Oh well?

2. Change flv to mov with Prism, that's fast

3. Drop mov into Final Cut. For some reason Final cut hates this mov, whereas normal mov's work right away. If I render a 2 hour clip it is about 6 hours on a small dual core Mac. But that is risky because editing on that rendered file, it might say "you moved me around too much", now render again (more than once even).

4. So I don't render, I just make a self contained NTSC which is a stable platform to work from. That's an overnighter or about 9 hours at least. Then instead of 200 meg I have 20 gig. That's idiotic, but I do it anyway.

5. I very likely have the darn thing stretched out of proportion too, and the sound is 1/2 a second off, but I jog it over. Then I edit, put more titles et al.

6. Then I make an mpeg4, maybe I stay at 10 fps, 640 x 480, key frame at 10? de-interlace, and I vary the bit rate to sneak under limits with Blip or Viddler, Viddler is 500 meg and my shows are long. (Well Blip is better to upload flash, then I use isKysoft to get back to flash, but it comes out too small with a black box around it?

7. Why do I do it? Probabably because I have a good throughput on FCP and I don't want to learn any new programs if possible. By then it surely is time to go to bed.

Here's a funny one, when I pull a flv off of Mogulus and try to upload it to another Mogulus, it labors like hell and has a dubious success rate. When I upload one of my mpeg4 it works much smoother? You'd think that your own flash file would go up smooth as silk?

Somebody (EVERYBODY) must do these tasks better than I do?

Please coach me.

Thanks
Richard Miller
Old 2nd May 2009, 01:10

Default RichFLV

You might look at RichFLV. It is an air app that will let you cut out sections of an flv without having to re-encode it. The only drawback is that it will only edit at a keyframe.
Old 25th January 2012, 14:27

RichFLV is really useful and works great. I also use Vdieo Editor for Mac, which lets me import my .f4v files and export them to various file fomrmats like wmv, mpeg, etc.

Tags
edit, flash, shorten, youtube