Old 12th December 2011, 23:42

Default suggestions for multiple hd mixer?

Hi there,

I've been give the challenge of putting together a price for a four camera HD shoot. It also must have titles and graphics to be overlayed.

Renting the cameras will be the way to go as this is a one-time event.. I have had a hard time finding a good HD mixer (most are only 2 camera inputs it looks like). I assume a mixer would be the way to go as 4 HD streams into a computer would be pretty hard on the system, right? Plus then I need 4 HD feeds going into the computer which I've read a lot about but looks like we would need multiple HD cards which would just raise the price of the computer rig. I don't think you can rent computers, can you?

I was reading about a lot of different mixers but it looks like it might be hard for me to find one to rent locally (near the Madison, WI area).

Then comes the titles and graphics. I will have the titles prepared before hand but I will need to overlay and remove them at will. Is there a software solution or would this be a software/hardware option?

I know there's a lot for me to grasp here so I'm not expecting a how-to, but are there some good starting points for me to begin this learning process?

Recap:

4 Camera HD shoot
Sound will only be one camera (and maybe a feed from an announcer)
Titles and graphics must be able to be added live
Another party will provide the bandwidth needed, so this is not a concern.

Thank you for any suggestions!

-Stephen
Old 13th December 2011, 14:21
Livestream Producer Support

Stephen,

Based on your requirements I'd suggest looking into renting a Newtek Tricaster. You can find out more about the system here:

http://newtek.com/tricaster.html

Matt
Livestream Support
Old 13th December 2011, 18:24

Thank you very much for the info. I'm looking at it now.
Thanks!
-Stephen
Old 13th December 2011, 23:50

I've emailed New Tek and am awaiting a reply about rental companies. I don't see any available at local rental houses so I'm guessing I will need to rent something online. Are you familiar with reliable online rental companies which might carry the Tricaster. Many come up with a google search but would love a personal recommendation if possible.
Thank you again,
Stephen
Old 14th December 2011, 12:08
Livestream Producer Support

I checked with our head of production, however he was unable to provide a local rental house near Madison. He said you should be able to rent directly from Newtek though.

Matt
Livestream Support
Old 14th December 2011, 12:19

Great, thank you!