Old 19th October 2011, 19:47

Default Audio balancing

Hello everyone,

I have an issue I'd like some help with and I'm hoping someone will be able to provide some tips.

I have two sound cards (specifically, an integrated chip and a purchased PCI soundcard) in my computer. I got this setup because it allows me to record two different sound streams at once (so no need for stereo mix trickery) and to potentially re-balance them in post-production (obviously not for live videos).

Here's my problem... audio balance. I use the two streams to record regular audio (say, music or game audio) in one, my voice in a microphone in the other. When making a regular video, say, for YouTube, this works great, as I can set up my volumes any way I want, then re-balance it in post. This means I can still enjoy the sound of my game (although I have to use a headset to avoid echo) while playing and my viewers can clearly make out my voice.

Now when it comes to live streams, I have to settle on a balance beforehand; I actually did find a balance that works fine for videos, but... well, I can't hear any audio! That is, in the recording it's there at a decent volume, but I can't actually hear it in my headset while recording, since I have to set it so low.

Basically, here's the issue... I have to balance things out so that my voice is significantly louder than any other sounds; to do this, I have to increase my microphone volume (done so, to maximum) and with no other options left, decrease my game volume... which then means I can't hear it myself, even though it sounds fine in the video. The master volume control in Procaster doesn't actually influence how I hear things, so that's of no help here.

Ideally what I'd want is for the background volume to automatically decrease when I speak, then go back to normal when I stop; this is problematic (noise) and I've yet to find a way to do it. Since this seems difficult, I'd settle for a balance setting that's good for both the viewers and me, but have failed to find one.

Can anyone give me some tips regarding this? I've pretty much exhausted all my ideas.

I'm using Procaster (latest, I believe), but I'd be willing to change that, if it helps.
Old 20th October 2011, 17:17
Livestream Producer Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMarconius View Post
Hello everyone,

I have an issue I'd like some help with and I'm hoping someone will be able to provide some tips.

I have two sound cards (specifically, an integrated chip and a purchased PCI soundcard) in my computer. I got this setup because it allows me to record two different sound streams at once (so no need for stereo mix trickery) and to potentially re-balance them in post-production (obviously not for live videos).

Here's my problem... audio balance. I use the two streams to record regular audio (say, music or game audio) in one, my voice in a microphone in the other. When making a regular video, say, for YouTube, this works great, as I can set up my volumes any way I want, then re-balance it in post. This means I can still enjoy the sound of my game (although I have to use a headset to avoid echo) while playing and my viewers can clearly make out my voice.

Now when it comes to live streams, I have to settle on a balance beforehand; I actually did find a balance that works fine for videos, but... well, I can't hear any audio! That is, in the recording it's there at a decent volume, but I can't actually hear it in my headset while recording, since I have to set it so low.

Basically, here's the issue... I have to balance things out so that my voice is significantly louder than any other sounds; to do this, I have to increase my microphone volume (done so, to maximum) and with no other options left, decrease my game volume... which then means I can't hear it myself, even though it sounds fine in the video. The master volume control in Procaster doesn't actually influence how I hear things, so that's of no help here.

Ideally what I'd want is for the background volume to automatically decrease when I speak, then go back to normal when I stop; this is problematic (noise) and I've yet to find a way to do it. Since this seems difficult, I'd settle for a balance setting that's good for both the viewers and me, but have failed to find one.

Can anyone give me some tips regarding this? I've pretty much exhausted all my ideas.

I'm using Procaster (latest, I believe), but I'd be willing to change that, if it helps.

Hello,

Have you considered using a program to route and balance your audio, such as Virtual Audio Cables? You can download it here: http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm

With this software, you can route audio and change levels as you need to. Let me know if this solution will work for you.
Old 21st October 2011, 10:27

I can't really afford to buy VAC and really, I wouldn't use most of its functionality. My sound channels are fine as they are.

Procaster already has a built-in sound balancer, so does Windows. Would something like VAC really help me?