Old 3rd August 2011, 22:18

Question Free account ads: types and placement

Hi, we're an educational institution, soon to use Livestream to host student-generated shows produced by a small studio using a TriCaster.

I don't think we can afford the lowest Premium membership, so I have a few questions about the nature of ads on the Free account.

1) What is the typical ad "load" on a free account? Is there always a pre-roll ad? a mid-roll ad?

2) Can particular types of ad be avoided? can we for example block "adult" type ads?

3) Do ads only appear over the video pane? do they also appear on viewer pages etc?

TIA!

Matthew P
Brisbane, Australia
Old 4th August 2011, 10:06
Livestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpfd2010 View Post
1) What is the typical ad "load" on a free account? Is there always a pre-roll ad? a mid-roll ad?

2) Can particular types of ad be avoided? can we for example block "adult" type ads?

3) Do ads only appear over the video pane? do they also appear on viewer pages etc?
1) An advertisement will load in the video player immediately when someone connects to the stream.

2) There is no way to choose what ads are displayed to your viewers, although we try to make them contextually relevant to your channel/audience.

3) In addition to video ads, some text ads appear on the channel page.

I recommend visiting any Livestream non-Premium channel to see how this all works.

Best,
Jason

Last edited by jasonlive; 4th August 2011 at 13:12.
Old 4th August 2011, 20:06

Question

Thanks Jason, appreciated. I did watch some non-premium channels, but as I undertand is it possible for a channel to "sell" advertising space, I wanted to confirm what was the minimum advertising load for someone seeking to show as little as possible.

In the email i received via my subscrition to this post, I notice you went on to say that an ad appears at the start, and at 15m intervals thereafter (your post seems to have been subsequently edited). Can you confirm that this is the case, and also:

1) for the "start" and 15m ads, do they obscure whatever action is happening in the stream completely? i.e do they "cut into" the stream, or do they appear in a way that the stream can still be viewed?

2) is the 15m intrusion quite precise? i.e could a host plan a break at the 15 mark and "throw to it", as a TV presenter would to a commercial break? or does the ad cut in at a rough time and the viewer simply misses out on 30secs of the stream?

Thanks for helping me understand this. As a University, we have to be very careful with interactions with advertising so we are not seen to be associated with, or endorsing the use of, anything.

3) Is there an "educational pricing option" for Premium, even with lesser specs?

regards

Matthew P
Old 5th August 2011, 10:29
Livestream

The information in my post above is correct, as that was the reason for the edit. Currently a preroll ad plays when a user connects to the stream. If you're interested in more information on pricing, please reach out to our sales team by calling 1 (877) 977 - 8732 or by filling out the following form:
http://www.livestream.com/info/premiumsales

Jason