Old 18th June 2011, 01:05

Exclamation Scouting a location for broadcast

Hi!

I will be scouting a location for broadcast of a tennis match (part of the Davis Cup) and wanted input on what I should be checking when I am in the area.

The stadium has a single connection into the venue which is currently wireless, we have requested a cable connection to our procaster laptop.

They noted that they have 700kbps upload so I will be testing the stream during the day

I will have a premium account so we can geo-lock the broadcast to New Zealand.

I have enquired into asking for another secure line for our broadcast only.

We will be broadcasting in SD due to the bandwidth I suspect, using a canon XH-A1 camera with an external stereo mic near the commentator, The camera will be up in a media box.

Is there any software or testing or other things that may be helpful to do while I am up at the venue?

Cheers
Isaac
Old 18th June 2011, 12:17
Livestream Producer Support

lordybob,

What would ultimately work best is simply running a test stream with Procaster from on site. You could also run a test at speedtest.net to NYC to check your upload speed. Please make certain that ports 80 and 1935 are open for Procaster to broadcast. You can test this from the following site:

http://www.flashcomguru.com/apps/port_test/index.cfm

Matt
Livestream Producer Support
Old 18th June 2011, 14:41
Livestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaron View Post
lordybob,

What would ultimately work best is simply running a test stream with Procaster from on site. You could also run a test at speedtest.net to NYC to check your upload speed. Please make certain that ports 80 and 1935 are open for Procaster to broadcast. You can test this from the following site:

http://www.flashcomguru.com/apps/port_test/index.cfm
In addition, 700Kbps is more of a minimum number. Having closer to 2Mbps would on a dedicated wired connection is a better target to shoot for. Please be sure to back up your video by recording locally with Procaster or to tape - especially if you're on a wireless connection.

Best,
Jason
Old 21st June 2011, 02:22

Thanks. We got an average of 710kbps but achieved an OK stream (google maps, Hawera, New Zealand).

It's not perfect but we are waiting for the clients decision. If we win the contract we will be signing up for a Premium account for a month.

Regards
Isaac
Old 24th June 2011, 18:48

Got the contract.

And got a corporate line into the venue. 5mbps up max.

Should be a good learning experience.