Old 15th May 2011, 14:27

Default Unable to Install

I receive this message when trying to install Procaster:

"This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vender to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package"

I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I have had no other issues with Window Installer to this point.

Things I've tried:
1. Changing the install directory back to C:/ program files as I have the default changed to another drive.
2. Double checked I have the latest updates. And scoured the internet/Microsoft for a independent download/update of Windows Installer. I'd still like to try this, anyone help me out with a link?
3. Attempt to install past versions, and the beta, no dice.
4. Changed the "compatibility" in properties to windows XP(even though I'm sure this is windows 7 compatible)
Old 15th May 2011, 18:06
Livestream Producer Support

zab329,

I just replied to your ticket. Please send in your install logs.

Matt
Livestream Producer Support
Old 16th May 2011, 17:29

Default Problem SOLVED

After far too long I have solved the issue. As I imagined it was a local issue not a Livestream issue. Though I am still left confused as to how this is not a more common issue, I have a standard home-built machine loaded with an activated copy of Windows 7 64 bit ultimate. As you'll see the fix, though simple to execute, isn't something that is common knowledge. If anyone has an explanation for why I my computer and I are special I'd love it hear it.

*Issue* : Didn't have proper administrative rights. Surprisingly being the only user, an admin, running the install file as admin, and selecting the admin check box in properties was not enough. Instead you have to create a new extra 5-star general-jedi master admin user.

How to:
1. In the search TYPE cmd, do not press enter.
2. In the list of results above the search query you will see the only result "cmd". Right click and select run as administrator. Note: **This step infuriated me beyond the others, not only as the single admin user did I not have enough rights to run an install, I didn't have enough rights to run the command without the superfluous step "run as administrator".**
3. Enter the following command without quotes "net user administrator /active:yes" If you get a permissions error, make sure you right clicked cmd and ran as an admin.
4. You can change the password(I do not recommend this, as I recommend deleting the account afterwards) with the command without all quotes: "net user administrator "password" "
5. Switch users or log out and log in with the new "administrator" user.
6. Install
7. For security reasons I recommend deleting the account after with the command without quotes: "net user administrator /active:no"

Things I did before this and I choose to leave that may have made it work in conjunction, . (although I doubt it). In brief:

1. Start > run > REGEDIT > Locate: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\FileSystem
If the value for either the NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation DWORD or the Win31FileSystem DWORD is not 0, right click the DWORD, choose Modify, and set the value to "0".
**As far as I understand it this allows files saved in your appdata to not have a character length restriction(though the default was 2 hexi, so I doubt this will ever be a problem)**

2. Start > run > services.msc locate: Windows Installer
Double click and change to "automatic"

3. Right click procaster install, and click the "unblock" button at the bottom.

4. Right click procaster install, and select run as admin.

5. Along with all the steps mentioned in my original post

As I said I am pretty sure the first change was the solution but I'd be remiss if someone else had this problem did the first edit and it didn't work.

Hope this helps!

Tags
fail, install, windows 7, windows installer