Old 22nd January 2009, 10:27

Angry FME cam feed drops from cam source

lately I have been having a whole host of problems with Mogulus.

I used to be able to stream for a couple of hours at a time without any difficulties, occasionally I'd have to reconnect my aircard but nothing major.

Now my cam source/live feed drops out of studio all-together after only 10-20 minutes.

FME still shows streaming to primary and I only know I am no longer broadcasting because a team member in the studio tells me when my cam source drops out, I would check status on my aircard and show strong signal. I reconnect my aircard and it comes back... for another 20 minutes or so.

On January 20th it got so bad I could barely keep my cam in the source window for 10 minutes. I was watching FME and the status I got was... auto adjust initiated due to frame drops... then auto adjust turned off due to frame drops... which is when my feed turns black, audio still streams.

The only way I can get any video at all the stream or be recorded is to have auto adjust checked despite what it says in the user's guide. Unchecking auto adjust gives me a black video with audio.

On January 21st it was streaming much better... but after 20 minutes or so my source would entirely drop from the cam source without any sort of notice in FME.

More times than not when the team member tells me the source has dropped out I have excellent signal on my aircard.

This combined with incorrect times, synch issues, auto pilot issues....

Anyone else experiencing this? Mogulus used to be excellent... now it's not even satisfactory... please help!
Old 23rd January 2009, 11:07
Administrator

This sounds to me like it's related to the EVDO aircard connection dropping. If you lower the video quality setting in the studio it should help to prevent the signal from dropping.

If possible I highly recommend using Flash Media Encoder which provides more efficient encoding and will allow you to set the bitrate based on the connection speed you are getting from the aircard.

-Ben
Mogulus Support
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:36

Thumbs down

Ummm... FME is Flash Media Encoder, I've been using it this whole time.

I also switched my video bit rate from 350kbps to 100kbps and experienced the same problem...the speed test I did on my aircard shows upload of 478kbps with only a 2 bar signal strength yet Mogulus Studio dropped my source cam when I showed 4 bars of signal strength.

On January 20 Mogulus Studio was dropping my source cam every 8-10 minutes regardless of what my bit rate was set at... yet on the 21st without me changing anything it improved to disconnecting me every 20 minutes or so. This is easy to verify by simply looking at the live recordings from those dates. I was also traveling the same route I have previously without these issues.

"If you lower the video quality setting in the studio it should help to prevent the signal from dropping. "

Ummm... what? How do I set the video quality setting in the studio? I can't seem to find this option in Mogulus Studio.

I can understand why it's easy to point to my EVDO signal from my wireless card but the problems I'm experiencing with Mogulus Studio go way beyond the connection issues I'm having. Auto-Pilot not synching, Auto-Pilot overlays getting transferred to the live feed, everytime I access the Configure Channel tab it resets my ticker and overlay to the intro defaults... shall I go on?

You yourself should know this Ben since you previously detected a bug in my channel.

Perhaps you can re-read this and my last post and come up with something?

Thanks,
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:45
Administrator

I haven't seen any issues with wired connections and Flash Media Encoder disconnecting so the most likely cause is your aircard. It would make sense that if you're getting two bars of coverage and you are driving around that at times the signal weakens and the connection drops.

-Ben
Mogulus Support
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:54

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotcar View Post
Mogulus Studio dropped my source cam when I showed 4 bars of signal strength.
If you READ what I typed you will discover I did the speed test with 2 bars of signal strength but Mogulus Studio disconnected me when I had 4 bars.

Please carefully read what I typed Ben.
Old 23rd January 2009, 17:39

Dear Ben i was a co-producer on this broadcast and in the studio. During the broadcast we were stationary for at least 30 minutes and continued to have this issue. i also discovered that the lower 3rd banners that were on the autopilot would carry over onto the live cast. By putting up a new banner i could erase them by hiding the new banner. I cant see how this is even related to our previous issues of the source cam dropping out.
Old 26th January 2009, 11:28
Administrator

Hi Steve,

We're aware of that issue with lower thirds from on-demand carrying over when you go auto-live using FME, this issue is not specific to your channel and a fix is on the roadmap.

-Ben
Mogulus Support

Tags
cam source, fme, frame drops