Old 12th April 2010, 15:07

Unhappy Livestream not reliable?

I have been using Livestream since it was Mogulus. Sometimes it works well and others not at all. I've considered paying for the pro account due to my needs and wanting more control but over the past 6 months it seems as if Livestream has gotten worse. I'm not just complaining and am hoping I might get some help if I am doing something wrong.

First problem I often have is livestream not picking up my camera. This happens with cameras I have successfully used before.

Second, and most frustrating, when I try to activate a camera it will pick my laptop cam but never list a video device where I can go in and change the input. If I try to add again, it says the device is in use by another application. I have tried changing this in both livestream and via adobe flash using the advance option, as well in many different browsers.

Third problem, if I get video going there is a 50/50 chance the video will drop out at some point during the stream or I will lose the audio. I'm not switching to different cameras or audio inputs, I just suddenly loose signal.

Fourth problem, I constantly have problems using more than one camera and switching back and forth. If I can overcome the prior 3 problems, when switching I end up loosing audio or video or both. Normally, the first switch to the second camera goes just fine it is when switching back to my first camera when it all goes awry.

About what I use - I use macs and often wonder if the problem is due to flash and how flash doesn't work the same on PC's as macs. Since I don't have a PC I can normally test this on I can't verify it. However, in the forums it seems like other mac users are able to use livestream OK.

I am updated to the latest version of flash for the mac and test all this in Safari, Firefox (lastest version) and Chrome. I have even tried it in Camino with similar problems.

Network wise - I have had these problems on public and dedicated networks. I have used it on wireless (including cellular wireless) and wired. Connections speeds have been typical home "high speed" (5MB) to very high speed with a direct connection to a fiber net work going to a T3 connection through a high speed research network. I have troubleshooted the network aspect and given the multiple different networks I have used and encountered the same problems, I am 99% positive the network is not the issue. In all cases I have had successful broadcasts and complete failures in others.

I am totally open to the fact my problems are due to my hardward/software setup but would like to know if other people are having the same problems. I keep seeing major media outlets (who some I know use macs just maybe not for livestream) promoted on livestream yet I constantly have so many problems I don't see how anyone could count on livestream working in a reliable fashion. I do like what livestream has to offer and hope I am wrong because I just don't see many other options out there like livestream (and don't point me to justintv or ustream I want multiple camera control - to my knowledge they don't support it or have the same features as livestream.)
Old 12th April 2010, 21:47
Livestream Community Help

Send a message via Skype™ to davidaron
Lightbulb

I have been using Mac on LS for some time now. I occasionally have trouble getting my cam/ webcam software recognized as well.

What software are you streaming with? Studio? Procaster beta? QT Broadcaster?

I'm wondering if you've tried using another PC/ Mac or even reinstalling Mac OSX if you havent recently.
I know this sounds drastic, but it might help. The problems you describe sound like Flash driver problems.

Just a thought.
Old 12th April 2010, 22:00

I have used studio to do most of the streaming, haven't really had much luck with the Procaster beta, don't use QT broadcast.

This happens on multiple macs. I agree it does sound like Flash issue which makes me wonder if I should use a PC for streaming - as much as I don't like that - but it is a fact flash on mac does not equal flash on a PC.
Old 12th April 2010, 22:36
Livestream Community Help

Send a message via Skype™ to davidaron

Yeah. I hear you. The Flash Media Encoder for Windows works pretty well in my experience. Try it.
It also records your streams onto the local machine as you go live. Supports H.264, too.

http://www.adobe.com/products/flashm...er/?sdid=FCORS
Old 13th April 2010, 02:34

So it sounds like you have problems as well on the mac which might be flash related is that correct?

Also, have you tried using windows on a mac and doing livestream? Just hate working/hauling around another computer.

Tags
mac, reliable