So my Procaster has been crashing pretty much ever since I installed it. I've only once ever been able to get it to work.
So today, I decided to look in the crash logs, and I found the cause of the crash:
Symbol not found: _EVP_idea_cbc
Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/libssl.0.9.8.dylib
Expected in: /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib
So I did some Googling about that particular error message, and I came across this very helpful thread:
Apparently there's some program that's installing an older, unreliable version of LibSSL 0.9.8.
It's putting it in your /usr/local/lib directory, which overrides the newer, reliable, copy that comes with OS X (which is found in /usr/lib/). What happens is this:
Procaster wants to use a system library called LibSSL and asks OS X to provide it. OS X has its own copy in /usr/lib, but sometimes people want to have custom versions of these libraries, and /usr/local/lib is the place that those custom versions are stored. Therefore, if a version of LibSSL is found in there, it will be used instead of the system-installed copy.
And it's this faulty version that turned out to be causing the crashes on startup, at least for me.
Navigating to /usr/local/lib and dragging its copy of libssl.0.9.8.dylib to the trash fixed the problem for me; Procaster now starts up without a hitch!!
(No restart was necessary, either!)
, Procaster support team, take note of this! It could help many, many more people!