Livestream Forum

Livestream Forum (http://www.livestream.com/forum/index.php)
-   Procaster Mac (http://www.livestream.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Procaster crashes on Mac Os 10.8.1, 2.9 Dual core CPU, 8 GB RAM... (http://www.livestream.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9911)

PolitikatNet 10th September 2012 12:23

Procaster crashes on Mac Os 10.8.1, 2.9 Dual core CPU, 8 GB RAM...

I am runing the latest Mac OS 10.8.1 and the latest Procaster.

Every once in a while it crashes with no serious reason, besides the connection lost or slow streaming...

Please, advise!

Thanks!

ernielive 10th September 2012 18:21

PolitikaNet,

Do you receive any error messages after the crash? Can you provide the following:

Exact CPU details
Any Hardware (Camera, capture card, etc) and how it's connected
Procaster version number (open preferences, click "i" in top right-hand corner)

PolitikatNet 11th September 2012 00:52

The Procaster version is 20.3.0M.

The CPU is 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7.

I am attaching a SONY Digital 8 DCR-TRV340E via Firewire and a ZOOM H2N mice via USB port.

No other software running, besides Dropbox, Chrome, SugarSynch and the regular processes of Mac OS 10.8.1

Yes, I get some error messages, but I ignored then. :) Next time I'll copy-paste it here.

Thanks for the prompt reply, though! :)

ernielive 12th September 2012 12:17

PolitikaNet,

A dual-core i7 is not ideal for streaming in addition to running multiple programs in the background. I would suggest closing all background applications aside from Procaster. Additionally, it may help to install the latest Mac beta, Procaster 20.3.8.

PolitikatNet 14th September 2012 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernielive (Post 34879)
PolitikaNet,

A dual-core i7 is not ideal for streaming in addition to running multiple programs in the background. I would suggest closing all background applications aside from Procaster. Additionally, it may help to install the latest Mac beta, Procaster 20.3.8.

Hi again!

I can't follow. What might be the problem with the latest MacBook processor?

Otherwise, fact is that I was running some background programs, such as multi-tab google chrome browser, plus a tab with the page of my livestream channel, so it might have created some conflicts.

yet, what might be the 2.9 ghz i7 cpu?...

Thanks!

PolitikatNet 21st September 2012 03:50

Unfortunately, I have tried all. On few events we were broadcasting using the Procaster on a freshly restarted computer with absolutely no other runing softwabe, besides some system processes. And it went on crashing. We are testing the last two versions of Procaster and I do hope there must be some solution for a MacBook with an Intel i7...

Thanks for taking time to answer! :)

ernielive 24th September 2012 19:03

PolitikatNet,

If you'd like to send your Procaster logs, please open a support ticket with all the information you've included in this thread. You can generate your logs by following these steps:

-Open Procaster
-Click 'Preferences' on the Procaster launch screen
-Click 'Video' tab
-Click 'Save Logs' at the bottom right of this screen

This will create a 'ProcasterLogs.zip' file on your desktop. Please attach this file in your ticket.

PolitikatNet 25th September 2012 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernielive (Post 35035)
PolitikatNet,

If you'd like to send your Procaster logs, please open a support ticket with all the information you've included in this thread. You can generate your logs by following these steps:

-Open Procaster
-Click 'Preferences' on the Procaster launch screen
-Click 'Video' tab
-Click 'Save Logs' at the bottom right of this screen

This will create a 'ProcasterLogs.zip' file on your desktop. Please attach this file in your ticket.

That will do! Thanks! :) Just a note: Can't attach .zip file. Only images seem to be allowed...

JacobSyndeo 8th November 2012 14:20

Figured It Out

So my Procaster has been crashing pretty much ever since I installed it. I've only once ever been able to get it to work.

So today, I decided to look in the crash logs, and I found the cause of the crash:
Code:

Symbol not found: _EVP_idea_cbc
  Referenced from: /usr/local/lib/libssl.0.9.8.dylib
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib

So I did some Googling about that particular error message, and I came across this very helpful thread:
http://hintsforums.macworld.com/showthread.php?p=688845

Apparently there's some program that's installing an older, unreliable version of LibSSL 0.9.8.
It's putting it in your /usr/local/lib directory, which overrides the newer, reliable, copy that comes with OS X (which is found in /usr/lib/). What happens is this:

Procaster wants to use a system library called LibSSL and asks OS X to provide it. OS X has its own copy in /usr/lib, but sometimes people want to have custom versions of these libraries, and /usr/local/lib is the place that those custom versions are stored. Therefore, if a version of LibSSL is found in there, it will be used instead of the system-installed copy.

And it's this faulty version that turned out to be causing the crashes on startup, at least for me.

Navigating to /usr/local/lib and dragging its copy of libssl.0.9.8.dylib to the trash fixed the problem for me; Procaster now starts up without a hitch!! :D
(No restart was necessary, either!)

So please, Procaster support team, take note of this! It could help many, many more people!

RonaldH 8th November 2012 14:36

@JacobSyndeo thanks for the help on this. We shall provide an stable LibSSL inside the Livestream for Producers/Livestream Procaster in the next version and then refer our binary to that binary.