Livestream Forum

Livestream Forum (http://www.livestream.com/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Requests (http://www.livestream.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   android app? (http://www.livestream.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7416)

mediawest 8th July 2011 11:12

android app?

i have been looking for a livestream app for android. any idea if they are working on it?

jasonlive 8th July 2011 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by mediawest (Post 25814)
i have been looking for a livestream app for android. any idea if they are working on it?

Mediawest,

Our dev team is working on a Livestream for Android app, however we don't have an ETA yet. However you should be able to view Livestream from your Android handset at the current time.

Best,
Jason

lilaizy 4th October 2011 18:04

in regard to broadcasting from android phone

ive been a dedicated user and broadcaster of livestream from back when it was mogulas but as of today im switching to ustream since you are the only livestream company to not give us the power to broadcast from our android phone justin.tv does ustream does but you dont i just wanted to say thank you for the many years but im now off to ustream good day you slippin in order to be competitive you have to aleast offer what ya competition does good day

kb0oxd 6th October 2011 03:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonlive (Post 25817)
Mediawest,

Our dev team is working on a Livestream for Android app, however we don't have an ETA yet. However you should be able to view Livestream from your Android handset at the current time.

Best,
Jason

Not without using a browser

And since most Androids I know DO NOT support Flash, it would be prudent for Livestream to build a viewer app which isn't Flash dependent as per my earlier request :D

Cheers & 73 :D

Pat

jasonlive 6th October 2011 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by kb0oxd (Post 28425)
Not without using a browser

And since most Androids I know DO NOT support Flash, it would be prudent for Livestream to build a viewer app which isn't Flash dependent as per my earlier request

When you connect to the Livestream player, it delivers a stream in a format based on the device connecting to it. On Android the stream is delivered via RTSP, and will usually play in the device's native video player if not the browser, thus bypassing the need for Flash.

Best,
Jason

kb0oxd 7th October 2011 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonlive (Post 28428)
When you connect to the Livestream player, it delivers a stream in a format based on the device connecting to it. On Android the stream is delivered via RTSP, and will usually play in the device's native video player if not the browser, thus bypassing the need for Flash.

Best,
Jason

Not on my Sanyo Zio. Tried loading the Occupy Portland feed with the browser and while it start to look like it was going to load, it would eventually go to all white in the area where the video should be

It DOES NOT load in the native Android Player

My OS version is 2.21

Hope this helps.....

Cheers & 73 :D

Pat

jasonlive 11th October 2011 11:00

To work on mobile, content must be in H.264 video with AAC audio. You can test this by using Procaster, which encodes in this format.

Best,
Jason

scpdny 11th October 2011 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonlive (Post 28532)
To work on mobile, content must be in H.264 video with AAC audio. You can test this by using Procaster, which encodes in this format.

Best,
Jason

additionally, if you want your broadcast to be much more compatible with smartphone/tablet devices that utilize flash and/or RTSP, i suggest this (applies to those using FMLE):
the audio AAC codec must be set to standard AAC and not HE-AAC.
the profile settings for video content encoded in H.264 must be set to the lowest setting possible (set to baseline & lowest level)
total outgoing bandwidth to LS from you is reflected back to the viewer in the same way, if you are streaming at 1Mbit total to LS, it will be streaming to the viewer at 1Mbit, dont expect it to properly load or play on 3G or less, and in some cases, play for very long as many have bandwidth caps and expensive data overages that may be quickly reached at high bitrates.
a good suggestion is to try and set the lowest acceptable bitrate, frame size and frames per second that will use the least amount of CPU and bandwidth on a users smartphone or tablet.
if all these suggestions are met, the viewer experience on portable/mobile devices will be better, more compatible and the viewer wont be surprised by sudden expensive data overage charges caused by a high bandwidth stream that was viewed for one hour or less.
an example of this would be my live feed, scpdny.com

rockbaptistchurch 15th February 2012 07:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonlive (Post 28532)

Best,
Jason

This is what I have found, if the mobile phone is running on WIFI then livestream works perfect using the default mobile settings in podcaster but when it is running on the cell network the player just keeps saying loading and never plays.I am using virgin mobile which uses the Sprint network, this makes no since, it will not stream even if I have full bars but the second the phone goes on WIFI works like a charm...Podcaster is set to the above settings using low bandwidth, the phone will not play any livestream videos when it is running on the cellular network not just mine, I have tried many from the web site I can't figure this out.

mbaron 23rd February 2012 17:47

rockbaptistchurch,

I would suggest contacting Virgin Mobile about this, as you've already stated the Livestream videos are working on your phone when using WiFi.

Matt
Livestream Support