Livestream Forum

Livestream Forum (http://www.livestream.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cameras & Equipment (http://www.livestream.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Using Canon7D with HDMI Connection (http://www.livestream.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6921)

sdmimedia 10th May 2011 10:11

Using Canon7D with HDMI Connection

I want to start live webcasting for our church. We would rather not use the webcam on the computer. Instead, I really want to use my Canon 7D. I do know that the USB connection will not show this camera as an option. I found on the web that I can use the HDMI Out on the camera and connect it through the HDMI on my Dell Latitude E6510 (PC). I want to know if anyone has been successful with this and if there is something I need to know to make this as optimum as possible.

If there is another way to use my Canon 7D as a "webcam" for live stream, let me know. Most information I am finding is for the MAC. If you have info for the PC, that would be great.

jasonlive 11th May 2011 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdmimedia (Post 23991)
I want to start live webcasting for our church. We would rather not use the webcam on the computer. Instead, I really want to use my Canon 7D. I do know that the USB connection will not show this camera as an option. I found on the web that I can use the HDMI Out on the camera and connect it through the HDMI on my Dell Latitude E6510 (PC). I want to know if anyone has been successful with this and if there is something I need to know to make this as optimum as possible.

If there is another way to use my Canon 7D as a "webcam" for live stream, let me know. Most information I am finding is for the MAC. If you have info for the PC, that would be great.

sdmimedia,

You can try connecting the 7d to your laptop's hdmi to see if Procaster recognizes your camera. Please let us know what the result is.

Generally we recommend using a BlackMagic capture device to take in an HDMI feed - this only works with a tower computer, however.

Best,
Jason

cseeman 23rd May 2011 03:15

sdmimedia, to the best of my knowledge you'd need to use a Matrox MXO2Mini to MacBookPro with Express Port or with Thunderbolt when Matrox comes out with the adaptor this summer.

Blackmagic has a HDMI to USB3 device but it doesn't work with any current USB3 laptops. They also recommend Dell computers.

Grass Valley-ADVC-50 can convert HDMI to HDV Firewire which might be your best bet but you'll have to test. The box is about $660.
http://www.grassvalley.com/products/advc-hd50

neomaxcom 30th May 2011 23:36

Jason:

I think that Blackmagic also has a HDMI to USB 3.0 capture device assuming you've got a USB 3.0 port on your laptop. (the last laptop I purchased included usb 3.0 for this reason although I've not scraped together the $$ for the blackmagic.)

Probably should have read a little further. obviously not tested on the laptop.

neomaxcom

hans45 18th July 2011 22:13

You can use the software provided with the 7d and the program camtwist. It allows you to select an area of the screen on the laptop. If you do this select the live face feature and it will get rid of the white box.

micax 19th July 2011 06:57

Same problem

Hey,

I'm having the same problem.... Not with the same camcorder but the HDMI connection... So it's impossible to connect it via HDMI... I read that there are some boxes where we plug all the components of A/V cable and then a HDMI cable connects to the laptop...

CAMERA -> A/V CABLE -> BOX -> HDMI CABLE -> LAPTOP

Is that possible?

Thanks for help....

mbaron 19th July 2011 10:51

micax,

What is the camera you're trying to connect? Also please provide greater details on your computer. As Jason mentions earlier in this thread we typically recommend BlackMagic Decklink cards for HD capture/encoding.

Matt
Livestream Producer Support

micax 19th July 2011 14:26

Hi Matt,

Im using SONY HDR-XR160E. The laptop as a HDMI output. What will I need to connect the cam so the webcaster detect it.
Altough the camera records in HD I can stream in a standard definition right?

jasonlive 19th July 2011 15:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by micax (Post 26185)
Hi Matt,

Im using SONY HDR-XR160E. The laptop as a HDMI output. What will I need to connect the cam so the webcaster detect it.
Altough the camera records in HD I can stream in a standard definition right?

Does Procaster recognize the camera when you plug into your laptop's HDMI port? If not, I'm currently unaware of any HDMI capture devices that work with lap tops. The BlackMagic capture cards we've mentioned require a tower computer to work. Does your camera have any other outputs aside from HDMI?

Best,
Jason

micax 20th July 2011 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonlive (Post 26191)
Does Procaster recognize the camera when you plug into your laptop's HDMI port? If not, I'm currently unaware of any HDMI capture devices that work with lap tops. The BlackMagic capture cards we've mentioned require a tower computer to work. Does your camera have any other outputs aside from HDMI?

Best,
Jason

Jason: Yeah. The camera as A/V output. I think there are some "boxes" that convert AV to HDMI or to USB, right? Please help :D