Livestream Forum

Livestream Forum (http://www.livestream.com/forum/index.php)
-   Production Tips (http://www.livestream.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   How to have overlay graphics & save stream locally? (http://www.livestream.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6223)

masipila 10th February 2011 15:10

How to have overlay graphics & save stream locally?

Hello,

I have following needs for my channel:
- Free plan, my channel is a small non-profit organization
- Lots of video-on-demand storage capacity (Livestream free plan 10GB is not enough)
- Small overlay graphics that changes every 15 minutes but is visible all the time (we stream curling games and would like to show the scoreboard on the top of the screen)

Flash Media Encoder considerations
+ I can save the files locally and publish the FLV files on my website where I have enough disk capacity
- I don't know a way to display an overlay image

Livestream Studio (the browser interface)
+ I can show overlay graphics
- I can't save the files locally

Procaster
+ I can save the files locally and publish the files on my website
+ I can show graphics with the 2d mix
- The video is shown in the bottom left corner and it can't be shown to fill most of the screen

Does anyone have suggestions how could I both save the video locally AND embedd the scoreboard graphics to the top of my broadcast?

Best regards,
Markus Sipilš

jasonlive 10th February 2011 16:15

Marcus,

An easy solution is to broadcast with Procaster but control the broadcast through the studio. That way you can record locally with Procaster, but add overlays etc through the studio.

When you do this, make sure you cue the source and press "Record" in the studio.

Your broadcast will save directly to your studio. Your local recording with Procaster won't display the overlays etc. that you add through the studio. However you could always add those later if the need should arise (i.e. your server-side recording somehow gets lost).

Best,
Jason

masipila 10th February 2011 16:28

Hi,

thanks for a quick reply.

I've noticed (not sure though) that when having FME and Studio open at the same time from the same streaming computer, the video is uploaded twice and the bandwidth in ice halls is not enough for this...

Of course I could have another laptop for using Studio, but I would prefer a solution with one laptop.

-Markus

jasonlive 10th February 2011 18:44

That shouldn't be happening, and in all the testing I've done with Procaster and Studio I haven't run into this. I recommend testing if possible. Please let me know how it goes.

Best,
Jason

masipila 20th February 2011 15:15

Test results

Hi,

I tested this last weekend as follows:
- Encoding and broadcasting with Flash Media Encoder
- Overlays with Livestream Studio (the web interface)

When I opened the web studio the broadcast started to clip. I checked the network statistics and you were right, the video was not uploaded twice. My conclusion was that my computer ran out of CPU capacity. When both FME and Livestream Studio were open the CPU capacity was 100% used.

Because I only have to update the graphics every 15 minutes I opened the web studio only when I had to change the graphics and then closed it. This way it (clipping) disturbed the broad only for a short period of time.

FME + studio is almost an ideal solution for me. The only caveat is that I can't get the overlay graphics for on-demand use. They won't (of course) be stored on my local files that I save from FME but for my surprise they are not stored in the clips that can be found in Livestream Studio on-demand library either. My plan was to download the FLV-files from the on-demand library (with the overlays) and then upload them to my own server with enough disk capacity.

So I'm still looking for a Perfect Solution (tm) that would satisfy the following needs
1) Free plan, my channel is a small non-profit organization
2) Lots of video-on-demand storage capacity (Livestream free plan 10GB is not enough)
3) Small overlay graphics that changes every 15 minutes but is visible all the time (we stream curling games and would like to show the scoreboard on the top of the screen)
4) The overlays saved for video-on-demand use

Now I'm missing #4.

cseeman 20th February 2011 20:36

At $449 it's not the cheapest solution but it should do everything you'd want and certainly works with Livestream.
Telestream Wirecast
It can add lower thirds and logos. It can also handle multiple cameras and even do Picture in Picture. It can record it all to local hard drive with all the graphics as well as stream.

freestreameast 14th March 2011 03:18

vidblaster is cheaper

it does overlays

sharpeyemckay 22nd May 2012 13:56

Commentary with overlayed graphics

Hi, we stream live pool and would like to do something similar to how the bbc broadcast the snooker where a commentator would say something like, "if he pots this and gets the white ball somewhere in the circle" and they draw a circle on the video feed. Is it possible to do this or is there any software that could be used??
Thanks

mbaron 22nd May 2012 16:18

sharpeyemckay,

Here are a couple options you can look into:

http://www.thedvshow.com/just-in-tim...y-telestrator/

http://www.pointhd.com/index.html

Matt
Livestream Support