Livestream Forum

Livestream Forum (http://www.livestream.com/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Questions & Bugs (http://www.livestream.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   BlackMagic ATEM TVS and Livestream, eeek! (http://www.livestream.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10886)

telmnstr 17th March 2013 00:55

BlackMagic ATEM TVS and Livestream, eeek!

Hello!

I got excited when I read that Livestream directly supported the Blackmagic ATEM units. I was thinking it would forward the h264 hardware encoded video that the unit produces to Livestream, where they would stream it to the viewers.

But apparently, it seems to want to locally re-encode the video? Is this correct? This takes a ton of processing power, especially when scaling video. The beautiful blackmagic units hardware encode the video -- it should never be un or transcoded locally.

I own the Television studio, which doesn't have the hardware for doing digital video effects. Without the DVE hardware, I don't think it can scale the video down from 1920x1080 in hardware -- I'm going to look.

My laptops are all core2duo Macbooks and such. In the past a friend and myself messed around with a blackmagic HDMI capture card and on a high end quad i7 it was pretty taxed scaling from 1920x1080 down to 720p (Under Linux with VLC IIRC.)

I volunteered to stream something locally next weekend and am scrapping for solutions now!

Can a modern computer do the 3 version livestream reading from an ATEM unit @ 1920x1080?

I'm also curious if I can do a blackmagic capture @ 1920x1080 while livestream is also streaming. From the same computer.

Also, I want a local copy @ 1920x1080, I don't want to loose that.

Henry_live 18th March 2013 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by telmnstr (Post 37146)
Hello!

I got excited when I read that Livestream directly supported the Blackmagic ATEM units. I was thinking it would forward the h264 hardware encoded video that the unit produces to Livestream, where they would stream it to the viewers.

But apparently, it seems to want to locally re-encode the video? Is this correct? This takes a ton of processing power, especially when scaling video. The beautiful blackmagic units hardware encode the video -- it should never be un or transcoded locally.

You are correct. The only way we could find to use the signal output via USB from the ATEM is to decode the video, then re-endcode it for streaming since the encoded video from the device is not in a useable format. The recommended way to use the ATEM device is in conjunction with a Black Magic capture device which requires less resources since no decoding is required.

Quote:

My laptops are all core2duo Macbooks and such. In the past a friend and myself messed around with a blackmagic HDMI capture card and on a high end quad i7 it was pretty taxed scaling from 1920x1080 down to 720p (Under Linux with VLC IIRC.)

I volunteered to stream something locally next weekend and am scrapping for solutions now!

Can a modern computer do the 3 version livestream reading from an ATEM unit @ 1920x1080?
A faster computer would be able to handle this better. The recommended specs are as follows:

Quad Core i7-2600 series CPU or better
8GB RAM
6Mbps or better upload bandwidth
Dedicated video card, 512MB VRAM
Windows Vista / Windows 7

Quote:

I'm also curious if I can do a blackmagic capture @ 1920x1080 while livestream is also streaming. From the same computer.

Also, I want a local copy @ 1920x1080, I don't want to loose that.
Unfortunately, it's not possible to record using the Black Magic utility and stream on the same unit since the same video signal cannot be used simultaneously in 2 programs.

telmnstr 19th March 2013 16:39

Doh! Well, what about incorporating support for something like the Turbo.264HD from ElGato? It's a hardware co-processor to accelerate some h264 functions. Moving the h264 (and I suppose in the near future the h265?) stuff into hardware seems like the way to go.

Some time ago when I contacted ElGato about Linux support they seemed very open to sharing APIs and expanding the use of their devices.

There might be other similar devices as well, or FPGA/ASIC implementations that could be rolled into a device.

jonnyweston 20th April 2013 10:09

I agree...

Yes indeed - I was hoping that Might have been able to reasonably integrate my ATEM TV into Livestream rather than Daily motion cloud (which costs more to run as a service).

The advantage of DailyMotion cloud from what I can see, is that its servers to which the H2.64 is uploaded, do the decoding / re-encoding and transmission to pretty much any device.

I have found the DailyMotion cloud to be a bit more robust and certainly a huge amount less processor intensive than the Livestream option - but I stil yet have to ascertain which I am going to stay with.

I have just built up 3 Intel Core 2 quad 2.5 machines, 4gb 1066 Ram, 128gb SSD drive, and a 2 TB main storage drive each .

seemingly - its going to take an absolute shed load more financial output for me to be able to get Live stream to work how I want it - but may possibly cost me less in the long run -

I am not sure what to do now. Daily motion uploads faster for sure, but costs marginally more. I am going to be trialling Livstream over the next week to see how it rolls.

Cheers,

Jonny