Today we’ve rolled out the first version of our new Livestream Check-in Chat widget. The new widget is the first step towards a unified chat experience that will span Facebook, Twitter and traditional instant chat in a single user friendly interface.
- ‘Check-in’ to any live event to discuss it with others
- See who’s watching with you, especially your friends
- See where other people are watching from in the world
- Invite your Facebook friends to watch with you
- No Flash required (iPad channel page coming soon!)
Where will I see the new widget?
- On all Livestream.com channel pages
- In Procaster, our free desktop broadcasting software for Mac & PC
- Livestream for Facebook tabs (on Facebook.com)
This is just the first step. Soon we’ll be adding Twitter support as well as integration into our mobile app on iPhone (Android coming soon) and any future devices like set-top boxes or connected TVs.
Q. Do I need to do anything?
A. No, we’ve taken care of everything for you.
Q. What about Twitter Chat or Livestream Chat? Will any of this change?
A. Not for now, but eventually we will merge all chat widgets into this single Check-in Chat widget.
Q. Can I use the old Facebook chat widget?
A. No. We’ve now retired the old Facebook widget.
Q. What if I don’t want users to chat via Facebook?
A. You can always disable the widget from your configuration page.
Q. Will this widget spam my Facebook feed each time I post a message?
A. No, we’ll only make a single post in your feed when you check-in.